Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

General idea of audio matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

computer

Hi,

I'm just after a basic understanding of how an audio matrix switcher would work?

I want to design something to take 4 inputs and have 4 outputs for audio (stereo signals). I know you could just do it with 16 (!) relays, but that'll get very expensive and complex quickly. I will use a PIC chip of some sort (don't worry about that now) to control it so I can route any input to any output, or and combination.

However, I'm sure there must be better designs than 16 relay technique! Any ideas?
computer

On a similar note, I am looking at building a 8 input/8 output SVideo matrix.

I can do almost all of that with two MAX456's (one for C and one for Y). However do I need drivers after that? Some sort of op-amps or something? The schematics suggest 75Ohm resistors to ground on all inputs, and MAX470's on the outputs, however I can't seem to locate these 470's anymore - is there a direct replacement and are they what I want for SVideo anyway?

You may want to look at the MAX4571 through '4574 audio/video switches in a 28-pin package with 2-wire I2C or 3-wire SPI interface...

Regards, Mike

Hmm,
I came across the **broken link removed**. It's a 32x16 matrix video switcher with internal buffers. One of these would allow me to do 16 input, 8 output, S-Video switching as long as I made sure it 'paired' up channels in software.

Although it's a really odd package (which I can't work out what it is)! Is there some sort of adaptor to convert this to DIP?

computer

computer said:
bringing this back into the light again,

would it be possible to use one of these audio or video matrixes to make a USB matrix switch?

Yes, use a microcontroller to receive the USB data and control the matrix, but USB isn't simple to do!.

bah I didn't mean that, I meant like, it switched 4 computer's USB between 4 devices, or something? obviously you can't split them and have one device on two computers or anything, but you could write that into the software which controlled the USB. you'd only need 2 lines per 'channel' right? Data + and Data -?

computer said:
bah I didn't mean that, I meant like, it switched 4 computer's USB between 4 devices, or something? obviously you can't split them and have one device on two computers or anything, but you could write that into the software which controlled the USB. you'd only need 2 lines per 'channel' right? Data + and Data -?

Sorry!.

Yes, you should be able to switch USB connections, but, as with any such switching, you need to be sure that the impedance of the switching device is low enough, and that they will happily pass the frequencies involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back