Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gen Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Seasons greetings!
This is kwame better known by the sobriquet, 'engineer# 1' at work ;out to make some mischief ha ha ha aaaaaa just kidding.
At work,we us a 2788 Amp 'powerlink' generating set that we fall on whenever power fails from the grid.
The generating set is hooked up to a 3200Amp LV main distribution panel.There is a 'signal cable from the panel linked to the generator 'ATS' input terminal.When there is power failure from the national grid,the gen automatically starts and vice versa.The connection was made before i got employed.
Does anyone know how this is done?

Cheerio
Wisdom kwame Samlafo
wisesamlafo@yahoo.com
Ghana

easy, they isolate themselve from the grid while they make the contactors/switch gear connections, just like we did on the coal mine that ran on 7200 V 3 phase, transformed down from 138KV, there is always high line switches at places like this.

I want to know how to remotely START/STOP a generator using electromechanical or general purpose relays wired between generator set and ATS:
When power fails from grid ,the gen should START
When power from line is restored,gen should stop running

details, details, what's available, what equipment do you have, etc. etc. You will most likely NOT get the info you because there are way too many variables and no details of your equipment. Are you starting up a 12 cylinder Cat Genset or an Onan 4 KW set? I still think what your asking for is a job for an electrical engineer. What does ATS stand for?

I recently installed one of these.
http://www.deepseaplc.com/genset/auto-mains-utility-failure-control-modules/dse4520
It works great. It senses power failure, starts the generator and sends a signal to operate the transfer switch. My transfer switch is 200 Amp. You will need one much bigger.

200A transfer switch.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back