Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

gear ratio ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

williB

I need to calculate the gear ratio of the attachment..
this is whats inside the crank flashlight
i figured it to be 94.97:1 ?
sound correct??

Attachments

• gears.gif
    gears.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 487
its really neat
its got three , sort of bright ( by luxeon standards) white LEDs..
and a rechargable Li-ion cell and a little motor/generator putting out dc , into a full wave bridge rectifier..
AND a 94 : 1 gear ratio.. :lol:

Attachments

• picture_090.jpg
    picture_090.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 457
  • picture_091.jpg
    picture_091.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 460
I have one of those! I had to take it apart of course.

After checking the crank's short circuit current and looking up the battery capacity, I found the charging abilities of that generator appeared greatly exaggerated. Without recalling the numbers, it would have taken an excessive amount of crank time to charge the battery and at the normal power for 3 LEDs it could drain it in a pretty short time. Since LED current goes down as the battery discharges it would take a really long time to actually run the battery down entirely but the period of useful LED power is rather brief.

Still, a fun toy.

After seeing that guy on the net selling handheld green laser diodes capable of burning stuff and generally being extremely dangerous, I had the idea of adapting that hand crank to charge a battery to power it. A hand crank burning laser. Sadly, not only were they quite expensive, he quickly closed his doors after getting all sorts of "inquiries" from government agents. Since they'd just had this slew of blinded pilot reports from what may have been 5 mW greens, the internet sale of 500mW ones had them "concerned".

Of course , thats the first thing i did too ( took it apart)..
then i let it run down ( by leaving it on ), surprizingly it took all night to to run down initially..
your right that once it is run down ,and after a short crank , it only stays really bright for a few mins. but you can just crank it up again..
Anyway i want to use the crank and gears for my new generator , i think it will work..

maybe it's some sort of fitness equipment :-D

1:(39/12)*(39/12)*(40/12)*(43/16)=1:94.62239583

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back