Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gear Indicator.(need help to build one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm

I am guilty of a couple of things here and let me point out I am being a bit of a smart ars.

The subject is rather uninteresting. I opened the thread to see why it had as many posts as it did. Once I opened the thread I only read the the last two posts.

Then I posted about a device that would be useful to me. All bad.

Having said that:

Anyone who drives a stick knows what gear he is in. If not one can figure that out from the stick position.

With the two tach method one could monitor clutch slip. It would let my wife know when she was riding the clutch (I never do that) or when she needed to shift based on RMP. It could also give a heads up on when the clutch needed adjusting or replacement.

:) 3v0

The Fact of the matter is, this would be more of a little something to look good on the dash than of genuine functionality, obviously it has to function correctly, as to the point of clutch adjustment and replacement, both myself and the person im making it for are third year motorsport engineering students so thats allot of work for something that a little mechanics "feel" can tell you anyway, as for the gear stick position of the car, i only ever thought there was one, but if there are two i would say that this stick is mounted further away from the bulkhead, my thought was to mount hall effect sensors in some way on the remote arm going to the gear selector forks, as pointed out the gearbox is too fiddley to make taking it apart and fitting something inside a viable option, but its more a question of finding the right things to do it with, and a bit of trial and error i guess.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back