Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gear Indicater

Status
Not open for further replies.

PyRo1509

Hi, I'm trying to get into this electronic world here... so i'm doing as many projects as I can... with useful applacations

anyways a Gear Indicator for a motorcycle is $350! and I wanna build one cheap

anyways I think i need a Up/Down binary counter.. but for accuracy and calibration I need it to reset when the Netural light is on, and when it is on I would like the Single Digit LED to display an "n"

Anyways, I was woundering if anyone was bored enough to scribble up a schematic for me

there will be 2 buttons so when the up button is pressed it will go to "1..2..3..4..5..6" and the same down... but my biggest problem is with showing the N as well as making it so when it comes out of neutral it will go to the next gear "1.. N.. 2.. 3.. 4.. 5.. 6..". When switching to neutral it wont hit the Up or Down Switch. :?:

Attachments

• 289081_5_full.jpg
    289081_5_full.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 876
I'm not sure about the Yammis but on a number of Kawasakis, there are control wires which tell the ECU what gear you are in. On my 12R there are 7 control lines for gears 1-6 and neutral. I haven't done it yet but I know of several people with kawasakis that have tapped into the lines and made a cheap gear indicator with a single 7-seg display.

Because your bike it fuel injected, there is a good chance that you might have the gear indicator lines as well. My experience is not with Yammahas so you will have to check it out on your own. If it does have them, it will make your system much easier to build!

-Bill

This question may be a little off subject, but do the newer bikes have On board diagnostics, similar to the OBD used in 4 wheeled vehicles?

If so, I think It would be neat to setup a OBD datalogger (for performance measuring) for a bike.

Do a google for binairy up down counter, returns quite some hits for usefull ic's

Here’s a low-tech solution (if your bike has a gear indicator output like Phalanx said.) Use any common anode display, leaving the decimal point unconnected. The diodes are 1N4148 (or equivalent) and use 820 ohm resistors to keep the current to a safe level to avoid damaging the display. Connect the appropriate line (N-5) to ground to get that number displayed. This circuit will only work with one of those lines grounded at a time, otherwise you’ll get weird characters in your display. If you need more numbers, just add some more diodes to light up the segments you want. I left the pin numbers off the display because I have no idea which display you might want to use. Also, here’s a link which might give you some ideas. These folks use a more complex, higher-tech approach.

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• Diode_rom_s.jpg
    Diode_rom_s.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,830
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back