Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GE Everest Ca-Zoom PTZ Inspection Camera

Houston5791

GE Ca-Zoom PTZ Inspection camera lost image during testing . What would cause this issue? Pic attached.
Assume Umbilical, pendant cable, monitor are ok.
IMG_4009.jpeg

the loss of sync can be anywhere from the camera , connectors, video converter, display module.

If testing included dropping the camera, let us know. oops sorry had to ask.
$18k for a used one for old VGA technology , wow.

It looks like the clock for Vertical sync is out of range and jittering on 3 positions of 1 line of text, which could be any analog failure causing that.

The cable may have enough wires to send HSync and Vsync with RGB signals but the receiver cannot obtain vertical sync so it has severely sloped (herringbone pattern) bars indicating the vertical error frequency is way off in between the text bottom left being occasionally in sync yet Hsync looks OK. the video is totally out of sync so pixel clock sync is not locked but Hsync is in range and square.

I see the vertical blank interval is visible black bar at the top, which confirms Vsync has failed.

I wonder what caused the failure. Were there PAL/NTSC options?

Once the cause is identified, the fix is usualy easy.

Last edited:
the loss of sync can be anywhere from the camera , connectors, video converter, display module.

If testing included dropping the camera, let us know. oops sorry had to ask.
$18k for a used one for old VGA technology , wow.

It looks like the clock for Vertical sync is out of range and jittering on 3 positions of 1 line of text, which could be any analog failure causing that.

The cable may have enough wires to send HSync and Vsync with RGB signals but the receiver cannot obtain vertical sync so it has severely sloped (herringbone pattern) bars indicating the vertical error frequency is way off in between the text bottom left being occasionally in sync yet Hsync looks OK. the video is totally out of sync so pixel clock sync is not locked but Hsync is in range and square.

I see the vertical blank interval is visible black bar at the top, which confirms Vsync has failed.

I wonder what caused the failure. Were there PAL/NTSC options?

Once the cause is identified, the fix is usualy easy.

The lines obviously show that's there's no horizontal sync, there may be no vertical sync either, but it's hard to tell with the horizontal sync missing.

First thing to find out is what sort of signal there's supposed to be?, is it composite, or some kind of signal with separate syncs, then scope them to find if they look correct or not.

The Hsync is stable but on the leading edge with Hblank partly on the far right.
Most likely it has S video with composite sync on Lum.
The video signal ought to be easily identified if it has composite sync then the sync separator function is at fault.
1707329831946.png

My guess is the composite sync is missing and it has attempted to sync off the video blanking interval.

I recognize the symptoms from when I built a synthesizer for all types of video scrambling techniques for MTS in the early-80's watching a Philips large optical disc for a stable movie reference signal with Smokey & the Bandit burned into my memory banks for 2 weeks. Random line dicing was most effective but inverted suppressed sync was cheaper but TV's could easily sync to vertical bedposts.
But they chose the cheapest jamming solution, which was easy for folks to add a 1/4w coax stub to trap it.
;)

Last edited:

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back