Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GB-1494V-0 LCD serial controller IC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alterscape

I have a 16x2 character LCD display "liberated" from a nonfunctional HP Laserjet III printer. It has 14 pins on the left side of the upper edge of the PCB. To the right of the pins are the legend "GB-1494V-0 S" and on the back side of the PCB is a sticker reading "RH6-3068 2327 01S." I've poked around online and found several people suggesting that it needs an HD44780 controller IC, along with a serial driver of some sort, but I can't find that part on Digikey.

I know this is a ridiculous n00b question, but if someone could point me in the directions of the schematics and parts I'd need to drive this chip via RS232, I'd be greatly appreciative.

[edit]I've also found a few pages suggesting I could power it directly from an LPT port with the proper C code. Is a hack like this do-able for this particular type of display?[/edit]

Almost all text LCD modules are compatible with the Hitachi HD44780, so this module most likely is. You just need to connect and drive it correctly, have a look at my PIC tutorials for details, including how to use a PIC to interface it to RS232.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back