Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

gas detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

I have an old gas detector from work. it has the usual FIGARO gas sensor in it. I was woundering. can i use this sensor do detect the level of gas rather than just going over a certain point like the gas detector does. this way I can measure the amoujt of gas present in the air and tell if it is a leak or a slight let out from the stove.

I did a quick google and found a lot of info. A brief read of it suggested that this type of sensor has a resistance that changes rapidly in the presence of various gases and vapors. It seems that you'd have to identify which sensor you have and find a datasheet that desribes the characteristics. The "resistance that changes rapidly" part might give some indication of how useful it is for your purpose. If the resistance changes so rapidly that you can't resolve reasonable changes and it's not repeatable then it might not be such that you can calibrate it. It did seem like there was a lot of technical information and that the sensor is widely used.

well i have only ever seen the figaro sensors around an always assumed they were te same as a part number was never mentioned.
anyway thanks

If you do learn anything or get a datasheet let me know. Next time I am in a store I'll see if I can open up the residential style gas detectors to see if they use a similar sensor. These detectors are relatively inexpensive - maybe $20 (US) or so which suggests that the sensor might be very resonably priced.

yea i found a data sheet. you may find that at least 50 % of the gas detector cost is the sensor. thats what i was told here in italy but frankly am not sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back