Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Garage door project

Status
Not open for further replies.

mihoo

hi i wanna ask about using a sensor in my project which is a garage door the sensor is to be which type ?and plz i want a full description about it and how to use it or how it works ?thnxx

(1) We cant read your mind. Post more info if you want help. What does the sensor have to do?

(2) Also, please don't phrase it like our only purpose is to sit here and solve your problems for you. We can point you in the right direction and give you suggestions, but we're not going to do your work... that's your job.

Hi mihoo,

welcome to the forum.

Garage door openers are normally activated by either a local pushbutton or an RF transmitter/receiver.

Sensors are only used to prevent closing the door on a car.

Use common sense to determine what is necessary for a circuit to open and close the door without colliding with an obstacle.

Boncuk

Last edited:
hi solis365
about more info the sensor is to sense when a car approach the door opens to let the car in untill the number of cars reach 10 cars i think about using light sensor or an infrared one somebody adviced me to use pir sensor but i cannot decide which is suitable
second i didnt ask anyone to sit and solve my own problem or to do my work cause i didnt want this all i search for is an advice cause i have no experince in doing projects as this one is gonna be the second one for me and i know my job very well

Hi Boncuk,

thnxx for your reply:)
my project is some how different the sensor is to sense a car approaching so the door is opened to let it in thnxx for your advice

mihoo

hi i wanna ask about using a sensor in my project which is a garage door the sensor is to be which type ?and plz i want a full description about it and how to use it or how it works ?thnxx
for the garage door project you can use two limit switches for door upand door down indication,which cause to run motor forword/reverse,the swiches are one NO. and one NC
type.

sunil

Hi mihoo,

your project sounds somewhat different from a house/garage owner.

If you have a maximum of 10 cars to park in the garage you must decide if there are priviledged cars or "normal" cars.

If only certain cars are allowed to use the garage my suggestion is a transmitter working in the car transmitting continuously. As soon as the car is within receiver range the door will open.

However you will have to use sensors to avoid closing of the door on an obstacle (e.g. a car having passed the entrance halfway and stopped for some reason).

If the door area is clear the door might be acitvated to close.

If there are no priviledged cars you will require a counter circuit allowing to open the garage door only if there is parking space available. The counter circuit should be activated inside the garage to count real passages and could use an IR-barrier.

I'm thinking of a nice traffic jam in a garage with no space to turn. :D

Boncuk

Last edited:
Dear Boncuk,
what u said is absolutely right that what i am doing in fact no priviledging cars and i am using a counter to count 10 cars and then stop entering any car unless the counter detect that any car passes from the exit and so on but i am asking about the type of sensor to be used to open the door or 'the barrier' when seeing a car as i think of using infrared sensor but it doesn't work

Mihoo

Last edited:
Hi mihoo,

in order to count up and down you need two IR-barriers. Depending on the barrier having been passed first the counter has to count up or down. A normal passive IR-sensor as used to switch on the porch light is not quite suitable.

Those sensors are sensitive to heat changes and there are a lot of them when cars move. Narrow beamed barriers will do a perfect job and even detect pedestrians (not wanted for your case).

If there is the possibility of pedestrians interrupting the transmitter beam you should employ a timing circuit, since a car requires a lot more time to fully pass the IR-beam, so a short interrupt will not affect the counter.

Using an inductive sensor circuit also means a lot of digging to get the coil burried in the ground.

City authorities can afford this method since it is being paid from tax income. :)

You might also employ a "Kuli" counting the cars and marking "poles" on a sheet of paper. If he has 10 "poles" on it, he's supposed not to allow any more car to drive in. :rolleyes:

Boncuk

Last edited:
Looks like inductive loops will be needed. Also control arms to keep number 11 from driving in the exit and messing up the counter.

I have seen access control arm on Criagslist before. Saw a megaarm for $300, that is a $3000+ arm.

I would go with the inductive loop idea, most anything else can be triggered by something other than a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back