Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Game Port To USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy All!
Can one (or more) of you give me a hand with this? I have an old Gravis GamePad that uses a 15-pin "D"-type connector that goes into its mate usually found on a computer sound card; i.e. the "Game Port". I like the Gravis for several reasons including; #1, its small; #2, I can flip a switch and use it "upside down", meaning that I can put the joystick or buttons on either side (left or right hand). New gamepads can't do that. And #3 is simply that I'm used to it. So here's my problem: How can I build an interface between the 15-pin plug and a USB port? I know that I can BUY one, but this hobby of mine is about BUILDING things. I already have or can get most of the hardware involved, but I'm in the dark if there's a PIC involved, of which I'm fairly certain there will be. If not then I'm in heaven as long as I can get a schematic. Anybody got one?? Thanks for your time. <ckd>

Game Ports are actually Midi compatible ports, so it's just serial data. If you're afraid of micro controllers you're dead in the water, it's like trying to build a car without a motor... Gotta have one. They can be bought for under 10 dollars and your desire to build one without the key knowledge required to do so isn't particularly rational, it's not as simple as schematic, information processing is required which means micro controller.

rasterburn.... It's also too bad that there are commercial solutions for less than half the price of making it yourself.

Because you can do a thing doesn't mean you SHOULD do a thing.

I'm sorry but there is nothing interesting here. The Midi (gameport) protocol is a publicly available standard with known device frames.

Commercial devices including shipping are cheaper than building it yourself and the specification and protocols are fully available on the Internet if you really want to know how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back