Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Game on a mini oled display

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReWallt

Hi, my name is Wouter, someone that's very enthusiastic about electronics and building.

I will keep it short. I want to make an ar game on ar glasses. I've build some AR games in the past with Unity game engine and put them on my phone. I also saw some youtube tutorials to make homemade smart glasses with arduino and oled display. However those oled displays only showed a black background with either some blue text, clock or a symbol. I searched high and low on the internet but couldn't find what I was looking for.

What hardware do I need for this project? I'm looking for a mini oled display that can display full colors (something like a TFT display does.) A microcontroller that's able to connect to the display. And a microprocessor where I can put the game in.

Now, I know this is maybe a bit to much to ask, but I want to know if something like this is possible. It's probably very hard to do. I know I will be spending weeks, maybe even months, on the project. But as a hobbyist that's fun of the challenge.

If there's anything else I REALLY need for this project please let me know.

Thank you in advance

The first thing that comes to mind is a Raspberry Pi for the controller - they are small but very powerful & capable of real-time video processing.
The latest Pi 4 is available in a version with 4GB RAM, far more than earlier versions.
It also has dual HDMI ports.

Most small, full colour OLED displays I can find have SPI or I2C (serial) interfaces.
That means you cannot update them very fast or feed a conventional video signal to them.

This one appears to also have parallel mode, which is much times faster:

There is a display driver project for that here to work with a Raspberry Pi

With appropriate connections and some mods to the driver, you should be able to connect two displays to one device.

The smallest HDMI compatible displays I can find, that would connect directly to the video outputs on the Pi, are 4.3" TFT types..

Thanks for the fast reply. I've had some experience with the raspberry pi. I've got a 2b from a uncle a couple Christmases back. But I think it is a little to big to use it for AR glasses.

Maybe I can find some smaller controller, or even make my own. But if it can't be helped, it can't be helped.

Thanks again.

If you do not need all the connectivity, look at a Pi Zero - about half the size or less & far lower price
eg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back