Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

game console

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use an old PC, either that or you can get mini motherboards so you can put it into your own case. You can install a SNES emulator I don't know what minimum specification you need though. For the controllers just buy some modern ones, I don't see the point in reverse engineering old Nintendo controllers.

Where can I get mini mother boards. Id rather make the console system a hand held instead of a reg console. Then after buying a mini motherboard, would have to buy HD, cables, ect.

Last edited:
I know it would be cheaper but i want to build a hand held device that can play flash games. something similar to these:

**broken link removed**

is what i want to build. it doesn't have to play flash games, but i would like it if it could, if i have to write my own games for it, then that would also be fine.

Sorry but I don't think you understand just how hard/damn near impossible it is for you to build yourself a portable games console. Even writing a game would probably be a big enough challenge for you.

I've written plenty of games. How about you be a little bit more nicer. from my research. it seems that **broken link removed**
games use some sort of LED Screen. Now to figure out how to communicate and change the things on the screen and to purchase right equipment.

My handheld game doesn't have to play flash games. it can be a simple game like pong or poker for all i care as long as its something to keep me occupied to make a handheld system.

Sorry, I did think you meant flash games, yes you could eailly build a game using an LED display or something. Perhapps you could use a PIC microcontroller. I don't normally do this sort of thing though so I'm probably not the best person to help you. Hopefully someone else here can.

Hmm, this sounds like a fun project! You could use a microcontroller, and an LCD display?

unless you're bent on the need to build one yourself, there are plenty of used gameboy advanced and similar portable game consoles available for cheap. When I say cheap, 2 weeks ago a guy had one selling for $25 and it came with 3 game cartridges. You'll never build one as good as a factory can.

HiTech said:
You'll never build one as good as a factory can.

Not true. Where do you think the factories get the designs? Just randomly? No. Just your average engineers playing around in the shop. It is 100% possible. It will just take time for debugging.

SIM said:
how would i end up putting my code on the chip. just solder the chip to any board?

Get a programmer. They are fairly spendy, but you could make one for about $25us

SIM said:
i also heard for the button keys you just solder a wire to each pin on the chip. is that true?

Well, yes, it is true, but you may want to make it a little more complex than that. That way you can have more stuff connected.

I"ll wait till a purchase a chip to ask any more questions. What else would I need to purchase? a LED Screen? Got any good sources for one? What about a circuit board? Got any good sources for them?

Marks256 said:
Not true. Where do you think the factories get the designs? Just randomly? No. Just your average engineers playing around in the shop. It is 100% possible. It will just take time for debugging.

I haven't been involved in desining something at this level but normally they're designed on computers and the first prototype doesn't resemble the final design that much. It's really messy and probably far from compact, it probably used many programmable chips and an LCD module, it was also a lot more expensive too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back