Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gain & volume controls on circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acoustic Addict

Hi Guys,
I just stumbled on your excellent forum & thought I'd post a couple of questions for which I need your expertise & advice.

Fig:1
This is charge amplifier circuit driving a small piezo disc.At first I wired a 100k pot in series with the 100 ohm Re. on the output of the buffer stage.It works well until I turn the "pot" nearly to maximum when there's a noticeable change in the tone. Further this wiring does not cut the gain completely either.

I then wired the pot on the output as shown in the diagram. This too works fine until I turn it down the fully when there's a very loud hiss. I also notice that there's a slight variation in the overall tonal characteristics. Replacing the values of the pot to 47k/100k only made the noise/gain either less or more!

Q:
Which configuration is the better or preferable of these two? Am I overlooking something? Why is this behaving this way?

Fig:2

This is a simple two stage summing/mixer circuit.
Q:
Is the value of the pot -47K- is an ok?

Originally, the volume pot was connected in the main the output, but I rewired it this way to reduce noise in the circuit.

I'd be very grateful anyone of you out there can tell me of any design error(s) I might have made & help me to further improve on these circuits.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Circuit-5.jpg
    Circuit-5.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 188
Thank you indeed.
I actually forgot all about the series Re,since this charge amp looked like the voltage follower circuit without the the usual divider network between in the non invert/out put! Also,since the input impedance in non -inverting configuration would be very high(in mega ohm region) i assumed that it would be safe to ignore the series Re.in this circuit. I usually use the following formula to calculate/obtain the value of the series Re. for non-inverting op-amps.

Rs= R1.R2/R1+R2 to calculate the app.value of resistor where Rs= input Re,R2=feedback,R1= divider Re.

So, would any value in the M ohm region say, 1M-4M7 suffice as an input Resistor? I really do not know how to calculate for this particular circuit! Any further help or suggestions will be much appreciated.
Thanks & cheers.

How much gain do you want in the stage?, using a 100K input resistor would give you a gain of 1 - the value also depends on the value of the volume control.

Hi,
Sorry,Did you mean an 100k input resistor on the in the inverting input of the second stage after the C=0-33uf cap? Ahhhh! now I see where I've gone wrong!! Yes, it does make sense! Thank you so much for pointing this out! I think I'd keep the gain as low as possible,say to 3dB at the most in the second stage.So by using a 47k input resistor in series in the feedback loop should give me gain of 2 then? So, what value should I use for the VR1 pot? Would a lower value ie:10k preferable to,say 100k?

Thanks!

Hi,
Sorry,Did you mean an 100k input resistor on the in the inverting input of the second stage after the C=0-33uf cap? Ahhhh! now I see where I've gone wrong!! Yes, it does make sense! Thank you so much for pointing this out! I think I'd keep the gain as low as possible,say to 3dB at the most in the second stage.So by using a 47k input resistor in series in the feedback loop should give me gain of 2 then? So, what value should I use for the VR1 pot? Would a lower value ie:10k preferable to,say 100k?

It needs to be no higher than 1/5th of the input resistor, and a 1/10th would be even better.

I will then wire a 10K pot..as this should be just right with the 47K i/p Re. I'll keep the forum posted once I rewire everything. Really appreciate your invaluable help! Learned a thing or two in the last couple of hrs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back