Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FYI - Port E

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonxer

I just learned something today about Port E on a 16F877 and thought I would pass it on.

I was working on a project that output data patterns on Port C for LED control. When I push a button connected to a Port E input, it causes them to change. After making a pretty big program, I decided to double the LED output by using Port D also. Everything worked fine except for one problem. Whenever I'm holding the button down, all of the Port D LEDs turn off. When I release, they're back on. I check all the wiring and decide it's not a hardware problem.

To make a long story short I made a copy of my code and spent a few hours removing things until I got down to a bare skeleton that only made the LEDs stay on. No port E button code of any kind. Despite all my efforts, that button press still taunted me making the LEDs go off. :shock:

So I read up on Port E. Turns out that if you have a 1 in bit 4 of Tris E, it puts it into parallel slave port mode, and E's pins are used for control lines, hence screwing my Port D data. I was initializing Port E as inputs by just putting 0xFF into my TRISE. Should be 0x07 to only specify the three lines.

Just a heads up for anyone not intimately familiar with the datasheets. :eek: :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back