Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fuse rating for compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorPS

Hi,

In a water system, there is a small compressor that do water cooling.

My question :
I need to add a fuse to protect the compressor.

in normal running, the current is less than 3A, 240V.
When Start up, it can be very high current, but I have no idea how high is it, because it is hard to measure without a proper equipment.

I have try placing a 7A , and even 10A fast blow fuse, but they burn up also after a few days.

For this kind of protection, what proper fuse and proper rating I shall use ?

Thank you,
Victor

use a slow blow fuse (say 5 or 10A), they are made for these applications, or better still, circuit breaker, so you only have to reset on jam ups, not replace fuses.

Isn't it usually double the maximum expected rating?

Are those slow blow fuses that are burning up? Because the reason to use slow blow fuses is so they will tolerate spikes during startup and operation but burn out in prolonged overcurrent conditions. BUt if they are already 3x the regular level, won't that mean that a fuse large enough to survive also won't protect it during a failure?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back