Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fuse for led's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BioniC187

Hey all, i want to change the bulbs in my instrument cluster in my car, to led's.
I have some +-350 ohm resistor to have in series with it, but i was curious about having a fuse inline? or should i leave it out? it only draws about 20mA but i don't want anything burning out

Hey all, i want to change the bulbs in my instrument cluster in my car, to led's.
I have some +-350 ohm resistor to have in series with it, but i was curious about having a fuse inline? or should i leave it out? it only draws about 20mA but i don't want anything burning out

The resistor limits the current anyway, the only 'concern' would be the wiring before the resistor shorting to chassis, and presumably that's already covered by the internal car fuses?.

The fuse is to prevent a fire if there is a high current for any reason, such as an accidental short to chassis. If the wire is already fused with a low current fuse from the car fusebox, then you are OK without an additional fuse. If not then you should add a fuse near where you a tapping off the voltage, with current rating based upon the maximum anticipated current draw.

You can buy LED replacements for most car bulbs. I did it with the dome (tube) and courtesy lamps (193/194 series).

Some car circuits might get confused if there are blown bulb detectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back