Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Funny science fair projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow they're some ugly children about, well I suppose they're all geeks so what else can you expect?

I like the "What's my dog's favourite colour" one. Dogs are colourblind dummy or is that the whole point?

Actually dogs & cats are not completely colorblind.
**broken link removed**

The Meth one is a favorite. I also like the ones that look like they were done on the bus to the science fair.

I'm sorry to sound a smart arse but I knew that. I had obviously forgotton about it when I posted.

For a start I'm colourblind but I don't see the world in shades of grey. My colourblindness is very mild and isn't bad enough to hinder me much. I can tell the difference between all the different colour bands on resistors.

Also that article isn't 100% true, dogs may have two but cats do have three different types of cones but they're very weak as they mostly have rods.
https://pocahontascofare.blogspot.com/2006/11/vision-thing.html
**broken link removed**

I do feel bad for their teachers. The last projects I remember doing were when I was about 8,9 and 10 years old and (in order) were: nuclear reactors/power plants (built a model with parental assistance), bridges (built a working suspension bridge from K'nex without assistance), and computers (convinced my teacher to give me an old Apple II and then wrote an active demo to run alongside my project).

It was a ton of fun, but I remember seeing projects like some of those on the site. They scared me, even back then...:D :D

Science fair sounds like fun, our schools never did any.
Brian Benson won first place in the Life Science/Biology category for his project "Creation Wins!!!," saying that he disproved part of the theory of evolution. Using a rolled-up paper towel suspended between two glasses of water with Epsom Salts, the paper towel formed stalactites. Disproving that stalactites take millions of years to form. Riiight

I think it's more of an American thing (if American TV shows reflect the US in any way). We never had any either.

I recall hearing about them, I wanted to do one as I was a geek in training back then.
In hindsight it would probably looked pretty stupid.
I dug up an old school newspaper I was editor for, hmm pretty bad, why do mothers hold on to such stuff.

blueroomelectronics said:
I recall hearing about them, I wanted to do one as I was a geek in training back then.
In hindsight it would probably looked pretty stupid.
I dug up an old school newspaper I was editor for, hmm pretty bad, why do mothers hold on to such stuff.

THe same reason you decided to do it in the first place?

Science fair sounds like fun, our schools never did any.
We had them on occassion when I was growing up, although for whatever reason I don't remember particpating. My sister did when she was quite young (like 9), and won top prize in the school for her entry (physics as it relates to pendulums... penduli?). Maybe the reason I never entered was because my parents figured they'd already hit that high note and it was time to head home.

They do science fair projects in the district I work in now. I've got so many great ideas burning through my head, I can't wait to live vicariously through my children.

dknguyen said:
I think it's more of an American thing (if American TV shows reflect the US in any way). We never had any either.
It does sound more American - my school never did any.

I think science fairs are a good idea though, perhaps we should do them more in our country where there's a lack of scientists and engineers.

Hero999 said:
It does sound more American - my school never did any.

No, it's not done in the UK.

I think science fairs are a good idea though, perhaps we should do them more in our country where there's a lack of scientists and engineers.

No, we've had enough stupid American customs moving over here already! :mad:

Lol, this is PRICELESS!!!

IT does look like he should have 2 kids, a wife and a tractor. Look at the kid to the right of him :)

Attachments

• hilbilly.jpg
    hilbilly.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 3,058
My kid didn't do too well in his science fair project this year (a human memory/stress project). Last year his project was pretty good (generating electricity with drinks and household liquids).

Nigel Goodwin said:
No, we've had enough stupid American customs moving over here already! :mad:
Let me speak up for a stupid American custom. I mean no insult, and I am sure you didn't intend one either. I have been reading this forum long enough to know that.

My generation had science fairs in high school. They were a great experience. (pseudo)Geeks like myself went all out for them; other just did it because they had to. It has now evolved all the way down to about the 5th grade. I have been a volunteer judge for many years at all grade levels.

There seem to be basically three types of entry: 1) the student who wants to; 2) the student who has to do it; and 3) the student whose father/ mother did it. Krumlink's robot would be in the first category. (Congratulations, Krumlink) The second is self explanatory. The last is exemplified by the 8th grader who does gene sequencing in a parent's lab.

Judging is fun for both the students and judges and is kept constructive . The biggest problem is dealing with the 3rd type. A few questions, though, can quickly resolve who did what. Unfortunately, politics, like when the dad/mom is a big name researcher in a small town, enters into the equation.

All in all, I do not think science fairs are stupid. I think 5th grade may be pushing the age envelop a little, but not by much. I think the aspect of competition with a winner is good, but there needs to be a normalization process for judging (we had one at the high school level). I think improvement might include an alternative activity in science for those who don't want to do a science fair project. Last and by far most difficult, I think there needs to be a mechanism to curtail or re-categorize the third type of participant. John

As I've alread said, I don't think it's a silly custom at all. I think that anything that encourages children to be creative and think logically at the same time can't be a bad idea.

I don't think pushing children into doing it, it a good idea because they probably only will produce a half-hearted attempt.

I take it that there's a rule saying the project has to be all your own work.

*walks in with his neon sign transformer and makes arcs :D* Pretty funny science projects, though i'd imagine the kids dont find it funny :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back