Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Function Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

s.mosfet

hello
i would buy a function generator, (300-400$)
Which is the best choice, DDS or analog?

i've seen:
isotech gfg-2120 (DDS)
tti tg330 (analog)

Last edited:
To my way of thinking buying a function generator is like buying any other piece of test, measurement or diagnostic equipment. You generally select it based on your needs and budget. With for example a function generator do I want or need sweep functions? How much amplitude do I need. Sometimes the basic features are fine but sometimes we need additional features.

Also, depending on your location frequently a good deal can be had on used test equipment. I got the old Wavetek Model 145 pictured in the attached for $5 (USD) at a yard sale. That thing has to be 25 or 30 years old and works just fine for many applications.

Ron

Attachments

• Test Setup.jpg
    Test Setup.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 260
1) Do analog generators have more distortion?
2) In which application is a >3MHz generator useful?

Last edited:
My experience has been that analog function generators produce a signal with less distortion and distortion being harmonics hum, and noise. So do you get better spectral purity with a non-synthesized unit? Yes, in my opinion you do.

What is the merit to > 3MHz? You tell me. For someone who works with audio frequencies nothing but for someone who wants 5MHz or 10MHz the less than 3 MHz would not be a wise move would it.

If I am looking for a frequency counter and I am never going to measure over 50 MHz I sure don't need a 1 GHz mainframe do I? You buy TMDE for its intended application. I have no clue what you want a function generator for or what applications you have for a function generator so how can I possibly tell you what would be a good function generator for whatever you want one for. You buy what you need for what you want to do with it.

Ron

Ok,
now i'm making audio projects, but i don't know which projects i'll make in the future...
so, what do you do with a 5MHz generator? digital projects? what in particular?

For audio you can buy something inexpensive. Even make your own.
If in the future you need something (and I mean IF) expensive then look around.

I would buy a cheap analog FG that goes above 20khz, maybe 50khz.
Mark a few freqs. of interest on the dial.
and keep my eye open for a used Tektronix or HP or Wavtech or ? FG for a good price.

Last edited:
I think analog generators is best option for distortion point of view because analog generators have more distortion than digital generators.

Not sure what you are saying there? I tend to agree for audio applications an older analog signal generator is good choice because they offer less distortion for sine wave applications. Newer DDS (Direct Digital Synthesis) generators have a higher level of distortion.

This is a good overall read on function generators.

Anyway the options are build or buy and as to buying with a little luck you can snag an old Wavetek like the 142 model or similar or as flat5 mentions:

Tektronix or HP or Wavtech or ? FG for a good price.

I paid $5 for the old Wavetek I posted a picture of earlier in the thread. There must be a few million of them out there. If you just want sine wave even an old HP 200CD or like would be a good choice. I would look to buy used.

Ron

An XR2206 function generator IC has "low distortion" of as high as 1.5% which is horrible for audio. It can be heard and can be seen on a 'scope. An audio generator has distortion as low as good amplifiers, about 0.05% or less.
Buy both generators if you need both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back