Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fume extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew2022

i have made a fume extraction unit for my soldering iron (using a few old computer fans) but the problem is all the fumes still get thru the solder fume filter, not 'cleaning' the air. why is this (not) happening?

Check what is the size of the fume particles and compare it with
the smallest particle size that your filter supposed to remove
(should be in the filter spec).

i think i have found the problem: the filters i have mayb concensation filters (?), because they are in a pack of 3 and the fume filters were susposed to be in packs of 2. whats the diference between these filters?

I have one of those smoke eater filters for my soldering use. The smoke eater filter consists of a small 5" fan which draws air through two filters. One of the filter is a particle filter, made up of small white fibers. This particle filter filters somewhere around 50 microns. The other filter is a carbon filter which looks like a particle filter which has been fortified with a carbon substance (Probably close to charcoal). The carbon filter is black colored.

Maybe this will help you to determine what kinds of filters you have

My first thought is "why are you bothering?".

I was part of a "Heath and Safety Executive" test a couple of years ago, testing the levels of soldering fumes in the TV Service trade.

The results of the test were that there was no requirement for fume extraction in the TV Service trade - and I probably do a lot more soldering at work than most hobbiests.

I did ask them what the potential problems were, and the reply surprised me!. It wasn't the lead in the solder they were testing for, but the fumes from the flux!. Apparently there is a slight concern that the flux fumes 'could' cause asthma - although they hadn't been able to find a single example in the entire UK TV trade!.

andrew2022 said:
i have asthma so i have to be careful wen solderin in a confined space (my room is a hamster cage)
Do you have one of those round treadmills for entertainment? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back