Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Full Wave Rectifier - Homework

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micheal

Hi All,

I'm new to the topic of full wave rectifier. The attached show centre-tap full wave rectifier circuit and the provided detail as follows:

Assume transformer and diodes are ideal. Take Rs = 0 Ohm. Find VL.

Urgently need all your helps.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Micheal

Attachments

• Centre tap.JPG
    Centre tap.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 876
hi Micheal,
Look at this edited image.
You should be able to work out the currents etc for yourself.

Centre tap.JPG

Hi Eric,

Thanks for reply.

Btw, may I know what is the current for the load R? Is the total current or only half of the current since every single diode will be On and Off for every 180 degree of waveform applied.

Please advice,

Thanks a lot,

Best Regards,
Micheal

hi,
The instantaneous current through the load is the ratio of potential difference between the center tapped terminal and either of the terminal of tranformer to the load resistance
Its a simple application of ohms law

Hi Eric,

Thanks for reply.

Btw, may I know what is the current for the load R? Is the total current or only half of the current since every single diode will be On and Off for every 180 degree of waveform applied.

Please advice,

Thanks a lot,

Best Regards,
Micheal

hi,
As 'legend' states re the instantaneous current., it is Ohms Law, but it is usual to state the 'rms' current thru the load.

The previous post gives the Vrms across the load [ it is full wave rectified] so the Irms =V2rms / Rload

We try not to give the complete answer to Homework questions.:)

Last edited:
As 'legend' states

Legend! What legend, I never heard about this? Why was I not told about the legendary RMS story? Perhaps I fell asleep after Conan the Barbarian lecture. :)

Hi All,

I still in doubt of whether Irms for load = ID1 + ID2??

If this is the case, VL = ( ID1 + ID2 ) RL, please advice whether is that correct?

Thanks & Best Regards,
Micheal

Hi ALL,

I still in doubt whether Irms for Load = ID1 + ID2

If this is the case VL = ( ID1 + ID2 ) RL, is that correct?

Please give some more hints.

Thanks & Best Regards,
Micheal

Hi Eric,

V2 should be equal to Vs / 2n, right ? Since Vs / 2(V2) = n/1

Hence V2 = Vs/2n

Last question to clarify...

Thanks & Best Regards,
Micheal

Hi Eric,

V2 should be equal to Vs / 2n, right ? Since Vs / 2(V2) = n/1

Hence V2 = Vs/2n

Last question to clarify...

Thanks & Best Regards,
Micheal

hi,
If the n:1 ratio applies to the full secondary winding then it is correct to assume that V2= Vs/2(V2)

For example say the primary was wound for 240Vrms with a turns ratio of say 10:1, there would be 24Vrms across the ends of the two windings in series.
That means measured from the centre tap [CT] to either end would be 12Vrms.

Note: the phase of voltage for opposite ends of the secondary relative to the centre tap would be 180 deg phase difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back