Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fuel injector pulse detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

brjones

I am trying to come up with a circuit that will do the following:

1. Monitor an input pulse signal, a fuel injector pulse in this case.
2. When a pulse in recieved on the input, trigger to output signal for 1 sec.

That is the easy part, I am guessing that a simple 555 set up in monostable mode with the appropriate R and C for a 1 second delay. This will give me a one second pulse when the input triggers.

This is the part I cannot figure out:
3. When another pulse arrives on the input after the 555 has already been triggered, I want the 1 second count reset so that the output of the 555 remains high as long as there is at least one pulse per second.

If there is a better approach to this please let me know. At the end of the day I need a circuit that will monitor an digital input, as long as that input has pulse activity at least once per second then single output of this circuit will remain high. After activity on the input has ceased for one second the output goes low.

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Just a though, what would be the effect of tying the trigger and reset pins together?

I know I have shown this circuit many times on this Website but it is a wonderful circuit. When you push the button it resets the timing circuit. If you don't push the button before the timing cycle times out the circuit turns off the load. Kinda sounds like the circuit you are looking for doesn't it? You have to play with the values to get the Timing Cycle you need but the Simpli little circuit works like a charm. Jost change the capacitor to a smaller size and use a 50k pot instead of the 33k resistor and you are in business. You could use a transistor relay driver circuit to short out the Capacitor instead of a normal switch.

Attachments

• 3_min_timer_npn_pnp_108.gif
    3_min_timer_npn_pnp_108.gif
    12 KB · Views: 470
Injectors can produce some nasty kickback/flyback voltages, make sure you use a shunt or something similar to protect the rest of the circuit.

brjones,

If the injectors are the plastic encapsulated type you can pickup the pulse with a coil on the outside. This way you have galvanic separation and won’t disturb the EFI circuit.

Ante :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back