Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FSK decoding with a PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryten

Hi Im just staring a new project where im (hopefully) going to us a PIC of some sort to take a FSK signal and decode into serial data.

The FSK signal are 1200 baud with 0 @ 1200 Hz and 1 @ 2200 Hz.

The reason why is to make a small portable unit that takes APRS signals in to a laptop.

Im thinking of making it so that I can just hang the antenna directly in it .

Im hoping some one can help me with this..

Well 30 years ago 6502's were reading and writing FSK to cassette tapes, with no extra hardware (other than a few resistors and capacitors), so a PIC is more than capable of the job.

Quick edit:

I've done a quick google, it used a double opamp and a transistor as well, here's the circuit

**broken link removed**

The cassette interface is at the bottom RIGHT corner.

Oops - quick edit - the diagram is of TANEX.

Last edited:
Ok thanks buys.

But adding some trouble for me by saying that i want it to run off and with USB.
I was thinking about the possibilities of make some sort of small driver or other software that will be automatic downloaded to the computer, this for making the unit usable to other software like UIView.

Any thoughts if its possible?

Ok thanks buys.

But adding some trouble for me by saying that i want it to run off and with USB.
I was thinking about the possibilities of make some sort of small driver or other software that will be automatic downloaded to the computer, this for making the unit usable to other software like UIView.

Any thoughts if its possible?

Certainly, just use an 18F series PIC with USB capability.

Although this idea sounds like a confused mixture of different centuries technology?.

Well Nigel its not my fault that the radio amateurs started using FSK for APRS operations but anyways, it should be fun to make it happen, I might not have the time although i think that the most time consuming part of this project will be making the usb communication part.

As far as i know for decoding the FSK i will have to know the time for a "1" so that i can decode it correctly.

Well Nigel its not my fault that the radio amateurs started using FSK for APRS operations but anyways, it should be fun to make it happen, I might not have the time although i think that the most time consuming part of this project will be making the usb communication part.

As far as i know for decoding the FSK i will have to know the time for a "1" so that i can decode it correctly.

Sorry, I didn't realise you were doing a radio project.

Presumably the 'time' will be a specific number of cycles - the old Microtan circuit I posted the link to uses an opamp to amplify the headphone output from a cassette recorder (so can do the same for a radio), uses a second opamp as a schmitt trigger to square it, then drives an NPN transistor to feed an I/O pin.

USB wise you will find it a LOT simpler to use a serial/USB converter, rather than try and do the USB directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back