Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

from RS232 to MC serial port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josephselim

hey Guys,
i just wanted to make sure of what i am going to do
i've a circuit which has a serial interface with the computer via RS232, and i want to connect it to a MC,
so, all what i need is a max driver only ?!!

Josephselim said:
hey Guys,
i just wanted to make sure of what i am going to do
i've a circuit which has a serial interface with the computer via RS232, and i want to connect it to a MC,
so, all what i need is a max driver only ?!!
You have to ways of doing so:
1. Remove MAX from that circuit and connect the circuit with PIC directly
2. Connect another MAX to PIC and do : Circuit->MAX->MAX->PIC connection.

1st i am using ATMEL MC,
2nd, all i got from your words is to connect the circuit directly to the MC , without any max driver !!! ,
if i did that, i think i am gonna damage the MC, cause i think the RS232 deals with 8 volts typically , and the MC deals with 5 volts maximum !!
or you are talking about the pic only ?!

Josephselim said:
1st i am using ATMEL MC,
2nd, all i got from your words is to connect the circuit directly to the MC , without any max driver !!! ,
if i did that, i think i am gonna damage the MC, cause i think the RS232 deals with 8 volts typically , and the MC deals with 5 volts maximum !!
or you are talking about the pic only ?!
What I ment in 1) was that you would remove MAX232 IC, so that both devices would communicate in +5V levels or to use another MX232 to do TTL->RS232->TTL Double conversion. This applies to all MCUs. Ofcourse If I would connect the MCU dirrectly to RS232, I would possibly damage it...

And because I am a PIC guy, I assumed you will use PIC, sorry for that :oops:

Josephselim said:
so, what do you recommend me now ?!!
:roll:

If the device uses RS232 voltage levels you require some kind of level shifter, a MAX232 is an easy solution - although there are many other possibilities as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back