Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

from movie die another day

Status
Not open for further replies.
is the thing shown in movie "die another day" possible.i mean shotting a laser from a satellite and using it to do war.there might be any problems..can u discuss them.........
in that movie a powerful high intensity laser beam is hot onto a specific stop.

Allowing for the attenuation of the atmosphere, probably.

But if you dont like someone and want to do them harm, a whack around the ear with a cricket/baseball bat is much more cost effective.

JimB

probably due to the ionospheric refraction the laser beam would fall on the neighbouring country!!

I think Icarus was solar powered. How it collected so much energy with such small solar panels and refocused it...I do not know. And I don't think it would make a rumbling sound as it moved around lol.

desperadogear said:
probably due to the ionospheric refraction the laser beam would fall on the neighbouring country!!

Is that what is referred to as "colateral damage"?

JimB

and what about the mometum. if a laser bean is expelled out in 1 direction it exerts a equal mometum in opposite direction.so as it being space it should not be in the same path but its radius has to increase.........

That's a negligble effect since it is so close to the Earth's gravity and considering how much the satellite could move (like making a 90 degree turn to fire that nuclear missile out of the sky), an easily correctable thing, given that thus far, something has to be really REALLY REALLY designed to be a solar sail to move even the slightest smidgen.

can it be really posssible a satellite which can convert solar enegry into laser. i mean by using the diamonds. what are the practical problems involved in it

the film doesn't uses laser , it concentrates the solar energy from the dish.
presently i donno any method by which solar power can be directly converted to laser . may be someday the sunlight can be used directly for pumping.

desperadogear said:

if the above method is possible.is this iosospheric refraction gonna create such a great infulence?????????

shouldn't this thread be in alternative energy?

srimannarayanakarthik said:
if the above method is possible.is this iosospheric refraction gonna create such a great infulence?????????

yes it would to some extent, ... thats the reason why there's a tropospheric, ionospheric model and correction in the GPS software.

srimannarayanakarthik said:
and what about the mometum. if a laser bean is expelled out in 1 direction it exerts a equal mometum in opposite direction.so as it being space it should not be in the same path but its radius has to increase.........

i dont think there would be a problem with conservation of momentum as light hardly weighs.. its made up of photons and its an electromagnetic wave only..

but collecting the solar energy and focussing as a laser is a dream and
would take long time ..may be 2020

A problem is that distortions in the air will scatter the beam slightly. It's like wavy window glass. This distortion happens in all layers of the atmosphere. Only slight but the beam must focus on a small area- like in the inches- to stay useful.
There's a technology for terrestrial telescopes where they send up laser pulses and measure the reflection, then use it to create aberrations in real time in an adjustable mirror that will cancel out the aberrations in the atmosphere, yielding a distortion-free image. The same tech will probably make a space laser work well.

Solar power is not laser power and cannot, at least under current tech, be transformed into laser power except for using a solar cell to charge a battery to run a laser.

Lasers have no momentum except under extremely sensitive lab measurements far from the order of magnitude to affect a real world application. Too bad, it would be a great form of spacecraft propulsion, wouldn't it?

I can't believe we're debating James Bond physics...

desperadogear said:
yes it would to some extent, ... thats the reason why there's a tropospheric, ionospheric model and correction in the GPS software.

i posted it here because,this forum is pretty fast to respond.in the they there are very replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back