Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian The Plumber

I have a problem with a central heating boiler running on a generator,
Is there a way I can stabilise the output from a petrol generator to a constant and steady 50mh?

Generators are usually stabilised already, but it's more for voltage than frequency (and is only rough and ready) - why is it causing a problem with the boiler?.

The circuit board in the boiler is detecting that the frequency is not stable and locking the boiler out, the manufacturer (Baxi UK) confirms this is a common problem with this model running on a generator.

The circuit board in the boiler is detecting that the frequency is not stable and locking the boiler out, the manufacturer (Baxi UK) confirms this is a common problem with this model running on a generator.

I wonder if it's the same Baxi as I've got?, all plumbers seem to be fitting them these days, great boilers.

If it's frequency sensitive I can only suggest trying to source a generator that's more frequency stable, but thats likely to be a LOT more expensive.

An easier, and cheaper solution may be to use an offline UPS, as long as the UPS is stable enough for the Baxi. So the generator powers the UPS, the UPS generates a 50Hz power supply for the Baxi, and the generator fluctations are independent of the supply to the Baxi.

Its a control circuit problem not a gen set problem. Tell them to get off there collective butts and fix their design flaw! :D

Possibly isolating the power to that control device and running it off of a dedicated inverter would help.
Let all of the pumps fans and larger Power usage stuff still get its power off of the gen set. :)

Plus 10% over speed and as much as under 20% under speed from a no load to overload is not uncommon on any generator system.
The engine only has so much available power it can produce. If its already running at near capacity its going to fall on its face when a bigger load is attached and tries to draw a fairly high starting current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back