Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory

I have a alarm system on my house .
How do I find out what the frequency of the remote is . I have asked the supplier and he gives me the runaround and I have looked on the unit and in the hand book but with no luck can you help me with this request.

How do I find out what the frequency of the remote is

A few good quality pictures of the insides of the remote would help a lot, otherwise we don't have much to go on.

Wild guess - 433.??? MHz

Do you know anyone with a spectrum analyser?
That would be the quickest way.

Why do you want to know?
For general interest, or to do something interesting and technical?

JimB

I'm not surprised the supplier is reluctant to divulge the frequency. The fewer people who know details of the alarm the less chance of a break-in. That said, any competent house-breaker could probably tell you the frequency :).

he gives me the runaround
You assume "he" knows the answer.
Last week he had a job where we asked "do you want a drink with that".
This week he he reads from the manual "hook the red wire to terminal three". He can only answer questions that are in his help manual.

I want to know as I want to replace the remote with a new on as it has a damaged case I bought one from the supplier and he charged me $68 for the remote and I know I can buy one on EBAY a lot cheaper.

I want to know as I want to replace the remote with a new on as it has a damaged case I bought one from the supplier and he charged me $68 for the remote and I know I can buy one on EBAY a lot cheaper.

The frequency is the least of your problems - you need to match the digital code it sends, and perhaps even the encryption.

If you look inside the one with the damaged case it might even tell you what frequency it is?.

I agree, there's no need for him to know that, there's no point - and for that matter no point in the OP wanting to know.
I want to know how it works.
I want to modify it.
I am going to take it apart.

I'm confused. You bought a replacement remote already, but you still want to buy a cheap one off eBay?

Easiest thing would be to fix the case. Plastic is tricky but not impossible to repair.

A few good quality pictures of the insides of the remote would help a lot, otherwise we don't have much to go on.

Wild guess - 433.??? MHz

Do you know anyone with a spectrum analyser?
That would be the quickest way.

Why do you want to know?
For general interest, or to do something interesting and technical?

JimB
How can you tell when the remote is opened . I have opened the remote and there is nothing indicating the Mhz

How can you tell when the remote is opened . I have opened the remote and there is nothing indicating the Mhz
There may be a crystal or a crystal oscillator visible.
There may be a pre-built module which operates on a known frequency.
It may be that looking inside is no real help, but until we see, we will never know.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back