Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frequency Over CAT5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

This is what I’m doing. I’m sending a frequency on a pair of CAT5 wire (High speed switching 12V, @ 1 KHz). Slaves are connected to this pair at different places & they will read this frequency.

Those are my questions

Can these slaves get the same frequency as send by the master?

What problems will occur in real life?

Do I need a pull down resister on the master transistor?

What about adding 500 pieces of slaves, in other words paralling 500 opto couplers to the same bus?

What modification do I need?

Attachments

• CAT5 S.GIF
    CAT5 S.GIF
    12.2 KB · Views: 160
Way too vague... as posted, 500 parallel 4.7k to opto LED drives would be one Hell of a high current load. There are ways to deal with very wide fanouts, this isn't one. Each slave has to be high impedance to the bus, so galvanic isolated or equivalent.

Quality help is proportional to the problems' descriptive accuracy... <<<)))

Ok thanks.Actually for slaves I like to go with arrays like 64,128,256 & 512 etc..........

If it is high current load then what opto to use?

Note that for slave side I'm using PIC to read the frequency.Can you tell me an idea how to couple more slaves to this bus?

Last edited:
I think you're missing my point: direct driving a bus with that many loads just isn't done. Each slave has to power its' own tap on the bus, the bus will have enough problems with noise issues.

If opto isolation isn't required, look at RS422 or 485 data bus options.

Again... Vague, the "frequency" of 1k isn't described as digital, analog or data embedded.

If you drove 500 of the opto couplers in parallel, that would be about 1A of current from your transistor if you drove the transistor base to 12V. I see no particular problem with doing that. The low impedance of the load will minimize noise problems. You don't need any additional power or isolation.

All the slaves will receive the same frequency.

I wouldn't expect any problems running this at a 1kHz square-wave.

You shouldn't need a pull-down resistor on the transistor.

Brilliant Carl.Your post saves my time to think of a new way of doing.

The number 500 I just pull out from the air actually it will be below 100 slaves.It is better to shift to PC817 because it will operate from 5mA current.

Last edited:
Creating your very own protocol from the ground up huh?

Communicating with #100 will be an altogether different experience
than communicating with #1. Read up on existing serial protocols
before reinventing the wheel. You should be able to address 255 nodes with
an 8 bit address right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back