frequency of a vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex18

I dont understand this. What frequency has the vibration 7*f in this picture? F=1/t but i cant use it for this.

Attachments

• kjh.PNG
    418.4 KB · Views: 114
Perhaps you ought to pay attention in class, rather than getting other people to do your work for you!.

I dont ask for answers just for good advice on how to solve the task because I am stuck with what I have and i dont understand that. I have no class, i have holidays.

This is valid for any square wave. The frequency of the square wave is equal to 1 / period of the square wave.

Let's say the period is 0.01 seconds. The frequency is equal to 1/0.01 = 100 Hz. Hz = cycles/second.

If the amplitude of the square wave is 1 unit,
The sine waves comprising it are

100Hz at an amplitude of 1 +

300 Hz at an amplitude of 1/3 +

500 Hz at an amplitude of 1/5 +

700 Hz at an amplitude of 1/7 +

ad infinitum

The answer is right there in the attached picture. It is written in German. Time = 0,5ms in German but English = 0.5ms. .5ms is half of a full wave, do math to find full wave. 2x.5ms=1ms 7t is 7 times faster frequency.

Last edited:
I missed the time scale on the plot - sorry. It was 3:30 am when I posted that and I was looking at the plot through one blurry eye.

Gary is right. Half the period is 0.5mS, so the full period of the square wave is 1mS.

T = 1/f where

T = period in seconds

f = frequency in Hz (cycles/second)

Rearranging,

f = 1/T = 1/0.001 seconds = 1000 Hz.

1000 Hz is the fundamental frequency of the square wave. It can be broken down into sine waves of odd harmonics.

This plot shows an FFT - the frequency domain - of a square wave. Notice there's no energy at the e en harmonics of the fundamental frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…