Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frequency Multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

km

Is any ICs or Circuit can do the following behavior?

Attachments

• Frequency.JPG
    Frequency.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 561
Your request is vague and imprecise. A phase locked loop may be what you are looking for but without knowing what you want to do it is difficult to say. In VHF and UHF communications it is not uncommon to do this kind of thing, although not by a factor of 100 in one step. Is the number 100 important or is it just an example. Try writng a short paragraph about what you want to do, otherwise it will be difficult to help you.

Yes, it's far too vague for any sensible answer - but as Papabravo says, you're probably looking at a PLL design. Although, depending EXACTLY what you're trying to do, a number of analogue multiplier stages 'may' do it?.

(But from your previous posts I seriously doubt it!).

You didn't say any details about your frequency multiplier but maybe this is helpful:

Attachments

• frequency multiplier.PNG
    frequency multiplier.PNG
    13.6 KB · Views: 717
This a typical application for a PLL (Phase Locked Loop), there are many tutorails which can be found from Google

I'd guess the 74HC4046 chip would be a good place to start.

https://focus.ti.com/docs/apps/catalog/resources/appnoteabstract.jhtml?abstractName=scha003b

The Wikipedia entry on phase locked loops has enough math to make you dizzy, but reading the first couple sections would be useful.

*qualifier* I've never dealt with any PLL's except nicely packaged clock generators like the CY22395, which won't work at these frequencies.

Question: Is this for a piece of instrumentation, or is it supposed to be embedded in a larger project?

km said:
Is any sample circuit available online?
For Cmos logic circuits, I look at the many examples in Don Lancaster's book, "Cmos Cookbook". The datasheets for a CD4046 and a 74HC4046 are also good.

The datasheet shows roughly how to use it as a frequency multiplier.

Attachments

• 74HC4046.PNG
    74HC4046.PNG
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,323
What about the Phase Comparator I, II & III? Which should i used? The input frequency is feed to Pin 14? I have to use two divide-by-10 counter? What is the use of Pin 9 VCO in and Pin 10 Demodulator out?

Can i get a Sine Wave (same frequency with the input) from the Function Generator ICs (XR2206) by inputting either triangle or square wave into it?

Attachments

• XR-2206.JPG
    XR-2206.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 384
km said:
Can i get a Sine Wave (same frequency with the input) from the Function Generator ICs (XR2206) by inputting either triangle or square wave into it?
If the triangle wave is perfect and has exactly the correct amplitude and DC level, then the distortion from the XR2206 sine-wave is about 1% at low frequencies.

How can i do that? i still need the timing capacitor & resistor?
Which pin should the triangle wave input to?

By the way, I found this circuit through the internet. Please advice.

Attachments

• Triangle-Sine.JPG
    Triangle-Sine.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:
I haven't tried the Waveform Shaper circuit. It looks like the results will depend on the amplitude of the triangle wave, its DC level, the supply voltage stability and on the temperature.

How does it work?

I think the transistors form a differential pair but beyond that I'm stuck, perhapps it's a non-linear in some way I don't understand.

audioguru said:
If the triangle wave is perfect and has exactly the correct amplitude and DC level, then the distortion from the XR2206 sine-wave is about 1% at low frequencies.

Can you please tell me how should i connect it?
The input triangle wave should input to which Pin? and how about the timing capacitor n resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back