Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

frequency divider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

confounded

hi, a simple project i may make needs a CMOS 4040 frequency divider but i only need it to reduce input frequency by dividing by 16.
I dont have this IC so can i make a simple replacement out of general parts to just divide by 16?

You will need lots of individual components to create a "divide-by-16."

A flip flop requires at least 12 parts and divides by 2. You need 4 stages.

hi, a simple project i may make needs a CMOS 4040 frequency divider but i only need it to reduce input frequency by dividing by 16.
I dont have this IC so can i make a simple replacement out of general parts to just divide by 16?

hi,
Do you mean divide say 1MHz/16 = 62500 or divide by 16 stages of 2.

If you look at the HEF4060 and or cascade 2 HEF4024 dividers this could work.

Which divider ic's can you get.?

i meant for example 1Mhz ÷ 16 = 62500.
I was hoping to replacate the ÷16 part with general components that i may have rather than buy any ICs.
By general components i mean anything but ICs although i do have a few 555 timers about if they are any use somehow?
thank you for your advice so far

i meant for example 1Mhz ÷ 16 = 62500.
I was hoping to replacate the ÷16 part with general components that i may have rather than buy any ICs.
By general components i mean anything but ICs although i do have a few 555 timers about if they are any use somehow?
thank you for your advice so far

hi,
A HEF4520 binary divider at 64pence each would do it.

It will cost more using discrete components.:)

excuse my ignorance but how do i use the hef4520 to make ÷ by 16?
I'm not worried by price of componenets, its more i want to make cicuit now and not have to wait to get components.
Thank you again

excuse my ignorance but how do i use the hef4520 to make ÷ by 16?
I'm not worried by price of componenets, its more i want to make cicuit now and not have to wait to get components.
Thank you again

hi,
do you have the 4520 datasheet.?

When you drive the input or clock pin (pin 1) of a counter (actually a divider) such as 4520 with say a 1MHz signal, the fourth output (pin 6) will rise and fall at the rate of 1/16 MHz. This is a division of sixteen.

You do not need any other components. Just the chip and correctly connect the "enable" and "reset" pins to either HIGH (rail voltage) or LOW voltage.

Last edited:
ok so forth output = 2 to the power of 4 ie 16 right? so 3rd output = 2 to the power of 3 (8) and 5th output = 2 to the power of 5 (64) i dont see where it says what each output does. Or is it just known that this chip has output pin 6 = 1/16 input and other output pins have other outputs? I'm just curious how i can tell in future what the output pins of a frequency divider will do as i dont see this info on the datasheet

Attachments

• hfe4520.pdf
    68.5 KB · Views: 466
Each output of a counter chip (also known as a divider chip) is a "divide-by-two." This means each output produces a frequency half the previous frequency. These are also called binary dividers as they always divide by two. Some dividers have a special circuit inside that makes the fourth output a "divide-by-10."

The first output is divide by 2
The next output is divide by 4
The next output is divide by 8
The next is divide by 16.

This is never mentioned in detail but sometimes the counter is classified as a divide by 1024 and this lets you know the number of "divide-by" stages. It goes, divide by: 2 ,4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, etc.

Last edited:
Look at the timing diagram on the last page of the datasheet.

It shows the active states of both input and output pins.

Each output of a counter chip (also known as a divider chip) is a "divide-by-two." This means each output produces a frequency half the previous frequency. These are also called binary dividers as they always divide by two. Some dividers have a special circuit inside that makes the fourth output a "divide-by-10."

The first output is divide by 2
The next output is divide by 4
EDIT: The next output is divide by 8
The next is divide by 16.

This is never mentioned in detail but sometimes the counter is classified as a divide by 1024 and this lets you know the number of "divide-by" stages.
I added the divide-by-8 line above.

Last edited:
:)

Thanks guys, i finally understand the datasheet, i see this IC has upto ÷ by 16, and i now understand that timing diagram.

i jus saw the discussion abt frequency division.....
i have a HCF4060BE ic ..... i need to generate a clock of 600KHz freq for operating an adc0808 ic.... can u tell me , how to do that using HCF4060BE ..... it wud be of great help if u cud send me the ckt to generate the reqd freq.. using the ic i mentioned......

You don't need a 4060 to generate 600kHz. How accurate does the frequency need to be?

The chip you mentioned simply divides a frequency by factors of 2, 4, 8, etc.

You need to work out how you are going to generate a "pulse" or "frequency." This is called a "clock" or "oscillator." Generally a frequency is generated by a circuit that uses a crystal. It all depends on how accurate you need the frequency to be.
Then, the frequency has to be a multiple of 600KHz if you want to use a 4060.

These things have to be worked out first.

Last edited:
i have a HCF4060BE ic ..... i need to generate a clock of 600KHz freq for operating an adc0808 ic.... can u tell me , how to do that using HCF4060BE ..... it wud be of great help if u cud send me the ckt to generate the reqd freq.. using the ic i mentioned......what crystal shud i use........

the adc0808 works well at 600khz.....but the freq can range from 550khz to 650khz....but i get accurate digital values at 600khz.......i tried generating the clock freq using a 555 astable multivibrator and i jus got 450khz....so i thought if i cud use this HCF4060 along with an input from a 10Mhz oscillator......which wud give me....10MHz/32=312.5KHz....and i can double it to get 625 KHZ.........if there is any other way to generate 600KHz , do suggest.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back