Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

frequency counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcheetah

im planning to build a function generator using the 8038 IC. the function generator is going to have a display for voltage (ill make that with a 7107) and a display for the frequency. what should i use for the frequency counter. i studied a counter in my logic design counter a few weeks ago but i want a single IC for the job. like the 7107 is a single solution for the voltmeter. any ideas????

Function generator frequency measurement ?

Maybe a LM2907 frequency to voltage IC feeding into a second DVM chip could suffice ?
I have seen PIC programs for a PIC16F84 to do frequency measurement, displaying on an LCD - this could be ported to a PIC with analogue to digital converter onboard then it could do voltage measurement as well ???

Either way --- consider voltage measurement ... do you want peak voltage, average (as on cheaper multimeters, fine for pure sinewaves) or true RMS? all three methods give different answers on a triangular or sawtooth waveform !
My sig. genny (based on the same chip) just has a rough scale on the ampluitude control knob, I let my multimeter do anything I need accuracy for.

using a PIC sounds nice but the price of the PIC+LCD is too much. i want to keep it cost effective too.

do you want peak voltage, average (as on cheaper multimeters, fine for pure sinewaves) or true RMS? all three methods give different answers on a triangular or sawtooth waveform !

i never thought about that. i always wondered why the function generators in our university's labs dont have a display for the amplitude. so i thought it would be nice to build one with a display for the amplitude of the signal.

help me out on this. what do u suggest

You could use 7-segment led displays driven by the pic...
If you multiplex them you won't need a pic with many pins..

Have you considered using a 7208 frequency counter IC ? Its not a stand alone solution but the 7207 IC that generates the timing waveforms and frequency division for the 7208 is only a 14 pin dip and most of the pins are not used. Also the 7208 can multiplex seven 7-segment displays(common cathode) no other drivers needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back