Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

frequency counter project

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickpin

Im doing a frequency generator project with frequency readout.
The frequency generator part i am fine with and works well.
For the frequency readout part i found this https://www.best-microcontroller-projects.com/pic-frequency-counter.html

Has anyone built this frequency counter project?
This is my first time programming a PIC but not first time programming using C and asm. I downloaded the software to the PIC with no errors and there is a clock being produced when checked with the scope. However the software doesnt appear to be working, the LED should flash to indicate the gate time but there is nothing atall on that pin also nothing is displayed on the LCD.

Im not sure if it is me or the software or a mistake in the diagram etc. (most probably me)
If anyone can help me or give me any suggestions/pointers that would be brilliant. I need to get this working!

thanks

Last edited:
Hi, I did not build this device but I am myself designing a frequency counter. This one is a very simple one, perhaps the simplest you can make with a PIC micro. What frequency are you trying to measure in your test ? I'd suggest to start with a low one. The site says it should work until 50 MHz but this is already out of specs for the PIC micro (if I remember correctly max. toggle rate for the T1CLKI would be about 16 MHz ... of course it can work on higher frequency if you are lucky but Microchip does not guarantee it will).
If it does not work at all, try to double-check all connection, the connection to the LED and LCD - check the contrast setting. do you see any activity on other pins except for the input ?

I only need it to count up to a few meg.
This is my first time programming a PIC so maybe i havnt programmed it correctly? Would the clock frequency still run though?
There is nothing happening except from the clock which is running.

stickpin said:
Ok, i think i have it going.

thanks for your help anyway.
I'll post back with updates.
Congrats. Most probably, earlier, you might have programmed on a separate programmer and not pulled down RB3 for causing LVP effect., which might also cause this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back