Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA with 5V Vcc

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpj

Most of the FPGAs work with 3.3V supply;
In a particular project I need 5V Supply Voltage FPGA.
Have anyone worked on this before? Any clue for further work?
Regards.

If your asking, are there 5v FPGA's, yes most will work at 3.3 to 5v, see Xilinx.

Last edited:
Most modern FPGAs have a max I/O voltage of 3.3V, and will tolerate only a little bit above that. For example, if you look at the datasheet of the Xilinx Spartan-3A (DS529.pdf), the maximum recommended VCCO is 3.6V, and the maximum recommended input voltage is 4.1V. Driving directly with 5V is out of the question!

My friend and I were looking for a modern 5V-tolerant FPGA, so we built a small, breadboard-friendly Spartan-3A module with onboard voltage translation circuitry. Check it out here:[MODNOTE]Site promotion is against the rules... Use your signature (25 posts or more)[/MODNOTE]

[MODNOTE] https://micro-nova.com/mercury This "ONE TIME" link has been allowed [/MODNOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad to see FPGA's getting more notice on here :D.

There are still 5V CPLDs around (lattice M4a5 series for example) but as already mentioned every modern family of FPGAs typically has 1.2V core voltage and upto 3.3V IO supply.

There are numerous bi directional translator IC's - these offer the best solution IMO or the use of a ready made module which such electronics already present (the module posted by mark2112 looks quite nice actually!).

(the module posted by mark2112 looks quite nice actually!).

Thanks! If anyone is interested, our module is currently on sale for Black Friday! :)
[MODNOTE]All promotions are restricted to the signatures...Blatant promotion is against the rules[/MODNOTE]

**broken link removed**

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back