Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fourier Transforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avalan

Hi Guys,

I am working my way up to understanding digital filters so I thought it might be a good idea to make sure I know the basics of fourier transforms.

As an experiment I started with a simple square wave signal (in Matlab x=[1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0]) that is made up of 8 points. After pushing it through my FFT (in Matlab :) ) and then removing the upper half of the points I get:

0 2.0-4.8j 0 2.0-0.8j

then I introduce the sine an cosine functions and get:

2Cos(PI/180*x) - 4.8Sin(PI/180*x) + 2Cos(PI/180*x*3) - 0.8Sin(PI/180*x*3)

Now for my question. If I understood it correctly then I have taken the signal in the time domain and broken it up into a function containing sine and cosine functions. Thus if I where to plot the above function I should get roughly the same signal. Meaning with the same amplitude and frequency, but I am not. The plot represents a square wave but the amplitude is about 4x more than the original signal and the wave is inverted.
What am I missing? Why is the amplitude in the time and frequency domain different and inverted?

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back