Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Found treasure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

I fished a Samsung DCS-816 (main box only) out of a skip (dumpster) today - it is a business telephone system.

What a treasure trove of goodies! Lots of smd and leaded discretes, small transformers, relays, 4 eproms, M68EC000 (don't know what I'd use these for), 1 Farad capacitor, 16.384MHz Xtal oscillator, some logic gates, buffers, lots of varistors, some line transciever thingies, a real time clock chip, some headers, and some Mystery Parts.

One of the Mystery Parts is some sort of cpu - I found out that much, > 200 legs, STC9604. Highly unlikely I'd ever be able to use it, but it would be nice to know a little bit about it. No info on net.
Other Mystery Parts are a pair of thick film circuits, marked KP00395, board designator prefixes "HIC" Lumpy green things, sil package, 5 legs, space, another leg
Still more Mystery Parts look like ceramic resonators (3 leg jobbies) but very close to the xtal oscillator so wondering if they are something else. 4 of those.

So that was the good point in an otherwise very rubbish day I supposed to interview someone who couldn't because he was ill, and no one else was home, and it was a long drive and it COLD!

What FUN!

Course, I've got a house full of pieces-parts that, while I am loath to trash (or eBay) them, I will never find the time to do anything with all them all...:p

Last edited:
Gotta love what some call junk I call luck. My job cleaned out a room to make way for a new laser, and asked if I wanted anything......I jumped and said YEAAAA, I got two nice servo disk motors and a large stepper, My next project is a descent windmill, and lots of leds and pots not to mention all the other goodies......

I worked for a little sound systems company that began to sell Korean business telephone systems when Bell was ordered to allow competition in 1980.
The systems were Goldstar which is now called LG Electronics.

The soldering was ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!! Customers complained about severe buzzy crossover distortion from the phone speaker playing background music.
The Korean systems costed very little but my boss sold them for a lot so he quickly became very rich.
We also sold and installed a few very expensive Northern Telecom systems that Bell was still installing.
Then we began selling and installing modern and much larger NEC Japanese business telephone systems.

A few years later I noticed that we were not selling phone systems anymore and the warehouse was empty. I asked my boss what was going on but he said nothing.
It looked like bankrupcy was near so I resigned and joined another company.

Then I saw in the newspaper that my boss sued NEC for selling directly to customers, but he had a contract that said he was the ONLY Canadian distributor.
He won 9 million dollars from in the lawsuit!

9*10^6 of any currency is good... Wish I had currency!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back