Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Forward Voltage: LEDs and Rectifier Diodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diggsworth

Why do LEDs have a higher forward voltage than rectifier diodes?
From what I understand, it has something to do with their chemical make-up, but I'm pretty sure there's more to it than that, anyone know the specifics?

I've already read through the bulk of the post.
I haven't been able to discern from it exactly why the forward voltage on LEDs is higher than rectifier diodes, though.

Okay, then.
So it's because of the GaAs compound then, right?
Because the breakdown voltage, and therefore knee voltage of GaAs components are themselves higher than Si devices?
And this would be the 1.7V on LEDs vs. the 0.7V on rectifier diodes, right?

My recollection is that it has to do with the Physics: Band Gaps, impurities, doping concentrations, junction profile, diffusion depths, the phase of the moon, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back