Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

formula for normalization

Status
Not open for further replies.

strikefreedom

i have a data in excel sheet need to normalization , i need a formula for normalization and the range is between -1 and +1

Anyone can help me this formula...

Please and thank

Hi,

I think you can just divide by the highest number or the highest range you are going to normalize with.

For example, if you have the set of numbers:
and you are normalizing with the highest number being 10 then the result would be:
0.2, 0.4, 0.8, 1.0
and all we did was divide all the numbers by the highest number which was 10.

But if the number is not in the group you may still want to normalize to that number. For example, same group of numbers:
but now we know that a number as high as 20 is possible (even though not measured yet) and we wanted to normalize this we would end up with:
0.1, 0.2, 0.4, 0.5
and that's because we divide each number by 20 this time.

If you have negative numbers and you are allowed the range -1 to 1 then you would select the number with the highest absolute value (again that number may or may not be included in the group). So for example for the numbers:
-20, -5, 0, 3, 7, 10
we would want to divide all these by 20 not 10, unless a higher number was specified previously that was not included in this particular group. This would give us the following numbers:
-1, -0.25, 0, 3/20, 7/20, 0.5

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back