Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ford to offer RFID tool tracking in new Trucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog

Tracking Tools

Ford F-Series trucks offer customers the most flexible, most accessible pickup boxes in the industry, thanks to class-leading hauling capability, industry-exclusive features like tailgate and box side steps - as well as a unique technology like Ford Work Solutions Tool Link.

Developed with DEWALT and ThingMagic, Tool Link offers owners the capability to mark and scan high-value tools, safety equipment, material inventories and other important assets using RFID tags. When the vehicle is running, a pair of RFID antennas, mounted in corrosion- and impact-resistant housings on the inside of the pickup box, scan the box for the items on a pre-programmed inventory list.

The data is transmitted to a reader mounted inside the cab and displayed on the in-dash computer screen, alerting the driver if any inventoried tools are not loaded on the truck.

"Tool Link increases productivity and saves money," said William Frykman, Ford Work Solutions product and business development manager. "It helps contractors and tradespeople guarantee they show up at the job site with the right tools for each job- and that they don't leave equipment behind."

Tool Link comes pre-loaded with several standard tool lists that are easily edited to reflect specific types of jobs. The system uses industry standard second-generation RFID tags that can be fastened to tools or other items and can read and catalogue hundreds of tools or assets in just seconds.

Attachments

• Ford1.JPG
    Ford1.JPG
    838.4 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
RFID is a very good idea. I always mis-placed my tools and could not find them. I still could not locate my circle saw for years and my wife told me it was stolen by some one passing by. She suggested I did not close the garage door when I went to work. I should tag my cat and dog as well.

t.o. said:
RFID is a very good idea. I always mis-placed my tools and could not find them. I still could not locate my circle saw for years and my wife told me it was stolen by some one passing by. She suggested I did not close the garage door when I went to work. I should tag my cat and dog as well.

Walmart is ushing for a mandate on all their suppliers to implement RFID into their orders sometime in 2009.

RFID is also BIG in the Defense industry for secured documents.

I'm telling invest in RFID! You won't see a big ayoff in 5 years but in 20 years when the wholeworld is integrated, you'll thank me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back