Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ford Mondeo electric window problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerbertMunch

Hello all,

not really sure if this the right place for this post. Apologies in advance it it isn't.

I have a 2ltr mk2 ghia hatchback made in 98.

All the windows are electric and they all work, some were a bit jammed when i got it but they work now (if a bit slowly ).

The problem is that the drivers side window switch can only seem to operate the following windows:

-the drivers' window in both directions.
-the front passengers' window in the UP direction.

Also if one of the switches inside the drivers switch assembly is pressed, it burns which causes nasty smoke . If this switch is held down for a few seconds then the fuse will blow.

Its really weird because all the windows work if activated from their respective switches!

I have taken the switch off and tested it with a multimeter. It seems to check out although the Haynes manual does not agree with my pin findings .

Haynes seems to display the circuit for a different model of switch to the one that is found in my car. They describe pins that don't exist in the connectors of the switch. for instance it talks about pin a2 being connected, but in my connector there is only a 'placeholder' for the pin they are referring to.

I have included the pins that i have identified inside the a and b connectors as an attachment to this post.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help me solve this annoying problem.

Many thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• DriversWindowSwitch.png
    DriversWindowSwitch.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,208
Last edited:
I would guess of a short in the loom (wire harness between the door and car's kick panel)

Open the loom, and see if there's any wire insulation damage. If there's any, just rewire the offending ones from the interior of the door onto the kick-panel.

You should check all other doors wiring (loom) as well.

Last edited:
Eliminate the switch by using one from the back seat (less use) to test the wiring. That cuts your problem in half.

Mark

Hi thanks both for replying.

Steve, ill give that a try possibly when it gets a bit warmer. I have had the door cards off a few times in the freezing cold. Not enjoyable!

Mark, unfortunately cant do that because the drivers switch is a 4 window switch with completely different connectors to the other single switches found on every other door.
It also seems that w/o the drivers switch connected, none of the others will work! edit: appart from the front passenger side, which works without the drivers switch being connected.

They must all be routed through the drivers switch.

thanks again,
Chris.

Last edited:
Your troubleshooting efforts would be greatly enhanced if you could locate an electrical schematic for you passenger cabin..... These diagrams are often available .... sometimes online.

Hello If something can please help me out. I have mondeo 06 platinum and back driver side windows is not working its not coming down either from back windows button or driver side button no noise or click

And help appreciate

It sounds a lot like the drivers switch assembly has got hot which has caused part of the switch to stay on. This will effectively short out the button of the window you are trying to use. You can normally pull the assembly apart and clean/free up the stuck contact.

A similar thing may have happened to the later model Mondeo only the switch (either front or back) is stuck open.

Hope this helps.

Geof.

Maybe there is a loose wire somewhere.
I find a lot of wires come loose in Ford vehicles.
They usually are bad splices.

-Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back