Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Folder won't Delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

aibelectronics

The folder seemed to have just created itself and seems to contain an exe file which by the way never displays when I click the "open_folder" button. I had visited the Internet recently and no wonder. The folder won't delete. On attempting to do so messages like "Access Denied. Check whether write protected" or "file in use by a process" come up.

I've run anti-viruses McAfee, Threatfire, to no avail. The folder takes a 'little' 261KB and apart from this, seems not to interfere with the system. For the time being.

How do I go about deleting it? What could be the possible reasons why it won't delete. Thanks.

sometimes i get files that wont delete after i move things out of them, they will after the next startup.

but you said you didnt create the folder, so id assume its some kind of virus??

have you tried going in through safe mode??

What is the full pathname of the mystery directory and what is the filename of the mystery .exe?

Torben

Hi ,

If you are sure this isnt a system folder and executable then try this.

1. Fire up the PC (I am assuming XP\Vista) in safe mode.
2. open up a dos box and rmdir <folder> /s

Reboot.

It does sound a bit suspect from what you describe, what browser do you use?

Last edited:
If you're sure the file is not "wanted"
Do a right click on the file and select properties and then the version tab to see the company and other telling info.

Once you're convinced you don't want it then try deleting the file-s first and then the folder may be deletable .

cheers

Last edited:
Unlocker worked! Thanks dknguyen for the lead as well as all of you. It probably took months to code, why would the owners of such useful software just put it up for free. You see lots of free software on the net: Antiviruses, Compilers, DLLs, and so on... what really is the motivation behind freeware?

This looks like an entirely new discussion...

You see lots of free software on the net: Antiviruses, Compilers, DLLs, and so on... what really is the motivation behind freeware?
Philanthropy. It's the same reason things like this forum work: people are inherently good. As much as we whine about how faulty society is, that's another thing that works for the same reason (that people are good, at least more good than bad). The whining is just one of our means to making things even better.

aibelectronics said:
The folder seemed to have just created itself and seems to contain an exe file which by the way never displays when I click the "open_folder" button. I had visited the Internet recently and no wonder. The folder won't delete. On attempting to do so messages like "Access Denied. Check whether write protected" or "file in use by a process" come up.

I've run anti-viruses McAfee, Threatfire, to no avail. The folder takes a 'little' 261KB and apart from this, seems not to interfere with the system. For the time being.

How do I go about deleting it? What could be the possible reasons why it won't delete. Thanks.
Good that you have removed it. For future, you may also try Kaspersky. It would help to trace and remove such files.

aibelectronics said:
Unlocker worked! Thanks dknguyen for the lead as well as all of you. It probably took months to code, why would the owners of such useful software just put it up for free. You see lots of free software on the net: Antiviruses, Compilers, DLLs, and so on... what really is the motivation behind freeware?

This looks like an entirely new discussion...

I agree that Unlocker is very useful, I have it installed on my machine too. However, it shouldn't take that long to code. Anyone with a bit of knowledge of C++ on the Win32 platform can write codes which locate all open handles belonging to a file/resource, find the owner (e.g. which process) of the handle, and proceed to kill that process. That's how Unlocker works. Try unlock the Windows or Program Files folder and you'll see the results. :p

It probably takes at most a few weeks to code and test the whole thing. I can write one myself but I'd prefer that somebody write, test and release for free so that I can use. :D

I attribute it to the world attempting to maintain a balance. THere seem to be so many people that are subpar that there have to be some other people that are above par.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back