Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FOAM CUTTER POWER SUPPLY HELP PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellybean

Thank you in advance for any support you are able to give!

Attached you will find the circuit schematic provide by the author, he posted it in 2008 and provides no contact details.

I am noob when it comes to electronics so please excuse my lack of knowledge:(

on the attachment marked "2" there are two wires coming from the circuit board which if I understand correctly when connected to the "short" switch will drop the voltage using the resistors, the "long" switch runs at full power.

TWO QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS!!!

1. Which is the "long" and which is the "short" wire?

2. How do i wire the toggle switches with only one wire each?
1.jpg 2.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 335
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 211
Both of the wires in image 2 go to 'one switch', the one in image 1 that shorts out the resistor. From what I can see, the reason for the short / long references, is if you have a 24" or 48" length of nichrome wire.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

In relation to this finding

1. which wire from image 2 will be that for short and which will be for long?
2. do I need an ON/ON SWITCH

In image two, on the right hand side there are two positions marked 'To long / short switch'. If you are using 24" nichrome wire, leave these positions un-connected. Though if you are using 48" nichrome wire, then connect these positions together.

If you are planning on using this power supply for both, then add a switch. With two wires, you can only use one switch.
Long nichrome wire = no resistor (short out with switch), short nichrome wire = resistor (switch remains open).

You don't need an on-off switch, you could just plug in to switch on, though it's better to have one.

Is there not enough range on the pot for both lengths?
Also instead of a wasefull 20w resistor you could try a rectifier and see if half wave gives you enough.
Max.

@HouseofWax
Thank you for your assistance.

I'm only planning on using the 48" and would like to add a switch is this what i would do see image switch switch.png

Yes, that is where the switch should connect.
However, if you are only planning on using 48" then you will not need the resistor or the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back