Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FM Transistor Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warlord_1011

Hi all i want to design from scratch a FM transistor Radio...

I have read around a bit but i dont really know were to start, i have got a copy of the books:

- ARRL Handbook for Radio Communications
- The Art of Electronics (Horowitz and Hill)

but im having difficulty learning from these books (as i learn better from videos or people going through step by step with me but ill have to make do with books) and too me it does not seem like they actually contain how to design an actual FM radio. As it is I am struggling to understand the basic common emitter amplifier...

I want to do this as im sure i will learn ALOT by doing a project like this but as i said i dont really know where to start, what components to select and how to calculate certain values for transistors etc.

does anyone have any advice for me or any tips ?

Last edited:
An RF receiver circuit with operates at 100MHz is not what I would suggest as a first project. At 100MHz, specialized components, construction techniques, shielding, grounding, and RF test equipment to tune it up are needed.

If you want to get your feet wet with RF, get a kit like one of these.

Last edited:
i personally want to aim more towards learning how to de-modulate FM signals, and how each component will help do that in a certain circuit etc

Then get a cheap FM radio, and hack in you own FM detector (discriminator, ratio detector, digital decoder, etc).

yes but the problem in doing that is i will have no idea how removing certain components will have on a circuit, thats why i would prefer starting from the bottom, and as i cant afford equipment like oscilloscopes i know it will be difficult. end of the day its all well and good if i buy a kit and make a radio, but i have no idea on how it actually works, if you get what i mean?

Hate to be another wet blanket, but as Mike said, a 100MHz RF circuit is no place to start for a beginner (even with an oscilloscope). So suggest you set your sights a little (lot) lower. Such a task is not just difficult, it very close to impossible for a newbie who is struggling to understand the basic operation of a common-emitter amp.

well with the common-emitter amp i understand the concept but not any of the calculations ...

and the books i have read just continue to confuse me no matter how many times i read them, anyone know of any videos what REALLY spell it out for dummies, cuz im getting a bit fed up with electronics ive been trying to do it for about a year now and i cant fathem it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back