Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FM receiver modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

Hi, I'm planning on modifying an fm receiver to be able to hear the frequencies under 108-88 MHZ. It is a very simple radio, AM and FM, but there are three inductors. Two of them I am assuming are for AM and FM, but there is a third inductor, at least I think that it's an inductor. It is not wound very carefully, but sloppily, what is it??

One of the coils will be the FM RF coil, one will be the oscillator coil, and one will be the AM antenna and RF coil. the one wound slopplily on a ferrite rod will be the AM antenna (or it could be just wound on a form, like a spider web).

the funny thing is, the one wound sloppily is not wound like a web. It is like the other two, the same wire type, and there is no ferrite bar or anything in between it. It is just three coils, but they are spaced apart from each other, and not in a straight line. also, when you say that one is the oscillator, I thought that there would be only two oscillators: One for AM and one for FM. What does this oscillator coil do?

zachtheterrible said:
the funny thing is, the one wound sloppily is not wound like a web. It is like the other two, the same wire type, and there is no ferrite bar or anything in between it. It is just three coils, but they are spaced apart from each other, and not in a straight line. also, when you say that one is the oscillator, I thought that there would be only two oscillators: One for AM and one for FM. What does this oscillator coil do?

The AM oscillator will be a small screened can, just like an IF transformer, anything just a few air spaced turns will be VHF front end and oscillator - you will probably have one oscillator coil, and two RF coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back