Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

flyback

Status
Not open for further replies.

jin29_neci

:lol:
hi guys I just to know what is the difference between a flyback and a ordinary transformer's.

thanks guys in adavance

I always heard it was because they make you "Fly Back" farther when you touch one. Sorry, I couldn't help it. :lol:

jin29_neci said:
:lol:
hi guys I just to know what is the difference between a flyback and a ordinary transformer's.

A flyback transformer is used for a very specific purpose, the line output stage of a TV or monitor.

Unlike a conventional transformer it's tuned, and you only supply it a square pulse (not constant AC). Because it's tuned, as the pulse switches OFF, the back EMF generated 'rings' the tuned circuit, producing a high voltage pulse on the primary (usually approaching ten times the supply voltage). This is passed through the transformer in the usual way, producing very high voltages on the secondary - they commonly also have low voltage windings, that supply power to some sections of the TV.

Cool, so the high voltage is generated by the collapsing magnetic field like when you trick your friends into touching an inductor to a 9v battery with their bare fingers.

Eblc's understanding of conventional and flyback transformer are:

1. For conventional transformer, energy/power is transfer from primary to secondary via changing magnetic flux linking both primary and secondary windings, with little or no time delay in between.

2. For flyback transformer, this is a two-step process. First magnetic energy is stored(surprisingly almost totally in the air gap) then flyback action occurs and this energy is released to the secondary by collapsing of the magnetic flux in the air gap. So in effect a Store-->Release-->Store-->Release....process and so on.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Unlike a conventional transformer it's tuned, and you only supply it a square pulse (not constant AC).

A flyback by itself, like any high Q inductor, will ring when supplied with a square wave. In fact this is the method used for testing whether there is any shorted turns on the flyback. I have built a tester for such purposes when I was troubleshooting my monitor HV circuit. (see image)

In actual TV circuit, the "excitation" voltage is not a square wave, so the flyback does not ring.

Attachments

• horizontal.jpg
    horizontal.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 695
  • transformer_ring_tester2.jpg
    transformer_ring_tester2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 772
eblc1388 said:
In actual TV circuit, the "excitation" voltage is not a square wave, so the flyback does not ring.

The drive waveform to the base IS a squarewave, the pulse you showed on your scope is the ringing waveform produced by the squarewave pulse. The efficiency diode clamps the following negative excursion of the pulse, in a similar way that a diode across a relay coil works - so you only get the first 'ring'.

BTW, nice LOPT tester, is it based on Bob Parkers design?.

Nigel Goodwin said:

Yes and I added a good inductor inside the case via a test switch which I can selectively apply a one turn short-circuit to it. All my LEDs light up when I press the test switch in one way and none in other.

Nigel have you got one and do you find it useful?

For users wanting more information, here is the link:

**broken link removed**

eblc1388 said:
Nigel Goodwin said:

Yes and I added a good inductor inside the case via a test switch which I can selectively apply a one turn short-circuit to it. All my LEDs light up when I press the test switch in one way and none in other.

**broken link removed**

eblc1388 said:
Nigel Goodwin said:

Yes, I've got the kit from Dick Smith in Australia, it's very well made and reasonably priced. It's 'reasonably' useful, but I find a lot of duff transformers that it doesn't test as duff! - bear in mind it only tests one specific function, that of a ringing coil. It tests all sorts of coils, so it comes in useful in suprising ways!.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back