Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flyback diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makaram

Running 36v dc motor that draws approximately 5-10A continuous.what fly back diode should I use to protect my h bridge fets? Specs or a calculation or simply a suggestion would be most appreciated
Thanks,
matt

Hi,

If you are switching over say about 400Hz you should use a high speed diode like a Schottky rated for the full current plus some headroom.
Under that frequency you can get away with an ordinary rectifier diode rated for the full current plus a little more for headroom.

I was under the impression that fly back current would only be a fraction of the forward current?

Hi again,

Well now's your chance to stop being under that impression :)

Seriously though, the current through the inductor theoretically does not decrease in the first few instants of the 'flyback' operation, so it would be good to have a diode that can handle the full current.

A snubber is often used when there is a danger of a short high voltage spike from occuring in spite of having a diode and blowing out some other component. You many not need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back