Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flux for MSOP soldering

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerart

I am about to surface solder some MSOP ic s 3mm X 3mm. As they are tiny, I want to find the best way to solder them, including the best flux.

I have a resin flux pen for solar cell soldering, this might be a candidate?

Any advice, please.

Cheers, Camerart.

There are a number of youtube videos for surface mount soldering. The liquid flux seems to be the choice.
Go to youtube and search "MSOP soldering"

There are a number of youtube videos for surface mount soldering. The liquid flux seems to be the choice.
Go to youtube and search "MSOP soldering"

Thanks BB. Do you know anything about liquid fluxes, like what they are made of?

Everything you need to know: https://www.kester.com/

The "best" flux may depend on your solder. Cored or non-cored? Lead free or not? The Kester site seems to address those variables.

I use Kester "44" rosin flux-cored 63:37 leaded solder in 0.031 for TH and 0.015 for SMD (with some exceptions).

For a separate flux, I use paste flux Kester SP-44. My 2-oz tin is of unknown age and is only about 1/3 used. "A little dab will do you." It lasts a long time and works well with small SMD's like you are describing. I also clean flux residue with a solvent afterwards.

John

Everything you need to know: https://www.kester.com/

The "best" flux may depend on your solder. Cored or non-cored? Lead free or not? The Kester site seems to address those variables.

I use Kester "44" rosin flux-cored 63:37 leaded solder in 0.031 for TH and 0.015 for SMD (with some exceptions).

For a separate flux, I use paste flux Kester SP-44. My 2-oz tin is of unknown age and is only about 1/3 used. "A little dab will do you." It lasts a long time and works well with small SMD's like you are describing. I also clean flux residue with a solvent afterwards.

John

Hi John,

It appears that Kester carry everything I need, but it seems that I would need to go from Uk to France to get some. I'll keep this in mind though, in case I find a more convenient shop, Thanks.

Cheers, Camerart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back