Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fluoresecent lamp balast

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Heneage

I am trying to convert a DC powered fluorescent lamp ballast from 6 volt to 12 volt for a solar power project. I have attached diagram and test results but I don't know just what to do to kept transistor from smoking.

Attachments

• fl_balast_project.doc
    36 KB · Views: 502
David Heneage said:
I am trying to convert a DC powered fluorescent lamp ballast from 6 volt to 12 volt for a solar power project. I have attached diagram and test results but I don't know just what to do to kept transistor from smoking.

Presumably the first thing you need is a transformer with the correct ratio?, if you apply 12V to a 6V transformer the output will obviously be double what it was intended. It's not surprising that the transistor died.

It is probably safe to assume that the board was made by some anonymous contract electronics manufacturer and so the chance of getting any detailed info is quite low.

Two possibilities occur to me:

1 Put the thing back to how it was for 6 volt operation and use a regulator to reduce the 12 volt supply to 6 volts. This will be rather inefficient, you will waste as much energy in the regulator as is used by the light.
But it will certainly work.

2 Dismantle the transformer and count the number of turns on the primary winding.
Rewind the transformer with twice the number of primary turns, re-assemble it, pray to a god of your choice as you connect the power and see what happens.
If the primary winding is underneath the secondary, which is quite usual, you will obviously have to remove the secondary as well. A lot of winding could be involved!

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back