Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fluorescent light

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew2022

i want to extend the wires on a fluorescent light (because of where its goin, itll be taken outta the fame).

question: what voltage are the cables and is it safe to extend the wires?

There are some pretty high voltages going to those bulbs. I worked at a convience store and I was changing a bulb in the freezer door, I touched the terminal and got a pretty good shock, I was frozen for atleast 2 seconds.
I dont know if it can be done, but just be careful.

oh, and what size bulb are we talking about?

Yes, the wires to a fluorecent light can be extended.
Have a look at the light for an aquarium, that has wires extending about 3 feet from the starter unit.

There will be mains voltage on the cable, BE SAFE, keep it well insulated.

JimB

What KIND of flourescent? Ones with high freq ballasts cannot be extended without the extra capacitance messing up their functionality.

Oznog said:
What KIND of flourescent? Ones with high freq ballasts cannot be extended without the extra capacitance messing up their functionality.

It's not that high a frequency, it doesn't make any difference - we've just fitted electronic ballasts on a number of signs on the shop where I work, the tubes vary between two and three feet from the ballasts - and by definition, with an eight foot tube it's going to be a minimum of 4 feet from each end :lol:

The only problem I can see would be the tubes may not start as easily if their is no grounded metal ( like the reflector ) physically close to them. This depends on the tube though, and the ballast circuit, and is only needed for starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back