Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fluke 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory

I have a Fluk 12 and have caused damage to the meter . I require a circuit digram or if someone can help me out with the part that is burnt and is there a part missing where the board is damaged or just a track.
Or if someone has one and send me a photo of that area and the part that I need to replace.
Thank you
I have applied to much voltage

I have a Fluk 12 and have caused damage to the meter . I require a circuit digram or if someone can help me out with the part that is burnt and is there a part missing where the board is damaged or just a track.
Or if someone has one and send me a photo of that area and the part that I need to replace.
Thank you
I have applied to much voltage

How do you expect us to find a picture of the area with the damaged component if you don't show us where the damaged component/s is/are? You haven't given us anywhere near enough information to help you.

I think you should post a photo of the inside of your meter first.

image.jpg
This is the photo of the
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Geez man, how much voltage did you put on this thing???

The blue thing is probably a surge protector rated for 3750V ±20%.

I think there was supposed to be a thermistor (POS, 1.1K, ±20%, 25 C) where the black spot is now, but it doesn't look like it was ever populated. The drawings are a bit iffy, though, so I'm not sure this is accurate.

**broken link removed**

Matt

The voltage from a HF transformer I believe was 2000 volts AC . I was testing the transformer out of the Tig welder .Applied 240v ac to primary and measured the output side. I did not have a circuit digram for this welder . I have paid the penalty.

The voltage from a HF transformer I believe was 2000 volts AC . I was testing the transformer out of the Tig welder .Applied 240v ac to primary and measured the output side. I did not have a circuit digram for this welder . I have paid the penalty.

If my memory serves, TIG welders use a very low voltage (in the ballpark of 3-10v) but very high current. I can't imagine the transformer would output 2kV :eek:

The voltage reading was in excess of 600v when the unit went too smoke.
The welder is a Trans Tig 180 CIG stick Tig AC and DC- and DC + I am only speculating the Voltage.

If my memory serves, TIG welders use a very low voltage (in the ballpark of 3-10v) but very high current. I can't imagine the transformer would output 2kV :eek:
I used to build them - generally the output voltage during arc phase is very low voltage as you state but many of them have a high voltage generator which enables you to establish an arc without actually striking the material to get it started. Once an arc has been established the low voltage high current stage kicks in :)

Geez man, how much voltage did you put on this thing???

The blue thing is probably a surge protector rated for 3750V ±20%.

I think there was supposed to be a thermistor (POS, 1.1K, ±20%, 25 C) where the black spot is now, but it doesn't look like it was ever populated. The drawings are a bit iffy, though, so I'm not sure this is accurate.

**broken link removed**

Matt
I have tried the web address but cannot down load the PDFs file .
Could you help me out with this problem. Please

The HF high-voltage may have arced inside your meter. The chip in the middle of the board labeled, "Fluke" has soot on it. That is not a good sign. It is sufficiently far from the input that the soot probably was not from being a passive bystander, but rather was generated locally. As you know, the HF arc can travel quite long distances. I doubt whether you can buy that chip and whether it is the only problem. You meter is probably shot.

John

Even assuming that you manage to replace the components that are burned, the meter is never likely to achieve the same accuracy again, anything that was hit by the overvoltage/ current will likely be well out of tolerance now. It could never be trusted again. It's a lesson learned to be sure, but if I were you I would buy a new meter and move on.

if it helps, i have a fluke 11 and i know that the fluke 10, 11, 12 are built very similar so i took mine apart and here is the part, a TDK804. i am not sure what it is because i am only a beginner and after a google search there was no information on it.
IMG_0504.JPG
IMG_0505.JPG

Can you please take some better-focused pictures with better lighting (not washed out)?

Try it without flash and use natural light. Usually works better

Yeah I think the chip with FLUKE on is now slightly mis spelt ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back