Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fluid coil spec help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip_er

Hi all, I've injoyed reading all I can in this fourm. But now I have to ask a question. I'm working on a mig welder. It has a gas valve that is controled by an electical coil. The coil and valve does work, my question is the volt amp? (AC 24V 50-60HZ 11VA). Can this coil only handle 11amps, or does it draw 11amps. The transformer has many taps, but none of which states 11amps. My biggest concern is not to fry this coil!
Thanks in advance!
Richard

The coil is rated for 24v AC (50/60hz), so it wants 24volts connecting to it to open the gas valve.

Volt-Amps (VA) is the product of volts and current.
Your coil will take about 0.46 amps from a 24v supply.

24volts x 0.46amps = 11VA

So, just connect it to 24v and it will be fine.
(The above assumes an AC 50/60hz supply, a DC supply will give a larger current).

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back